Get to work!!!

I was able to get the blades ground tonight. I also got a third knife worked in that has a much more pronounced drop to the point.

006-5.jpg

001-1.jpg

009-3.jpg

And the original two.

011-3.jpg

SDS

Tony, do you want thumb grooves directly in front of the handle only? Or do you want a small section farther out towards the end of the blade as well? I like the grooves out towards the end for when I want to guide the knife with my index finger. I won't add them until I hear back from you.

SDS

Shawn, I'm gonna pass on the thumb grooves on the forward part of the blade. I would like them on a smaller knife however.

Thanks for asking Shawn!

man.. those are looking great Shawn... :eek: i really like the one on the far right...:thumbup:

I'll try to get the rear thumb grooves done this weekend and get them heat treated next week.

Thanks for all of the positive comments guys. I'm having fun with this. Mike, the center knife was from the original drawing and the far right was the modified design. I made up the one of the left to show a different tip shape. One of those blade shapes should appeal to most users.

I won't get much shop time this weekend. Between a Cub Scout overnighter and Easter weekend, it'll be tough to fit in much time for projects.

Have a great Easter everyone.
SDS

Right on Shawn:thumbup:

This is helleva alot of fun to watch the progress of these knives being made:thumbup:

Have a Happy Easter!!!

Well I have some good news and some bad news. First, I was able to get in quite a bit of shop time today despite it being Easter. I got all of the blades heat treated and tempered. Bad news.....I forgot to add the thumb grooves the the spine. But...I had enough time in the shop today to completely finish a fourth knife and get it heat treated and tempered as well.

Overall I'm satisfied with the day. I just wish I hadn't been in such a hurry to get the heat treat done.

Here are a few pictures of today's work.

Into the oven.
001-2.jpg

After the final temper and a quick run over the buffer to clean them up.
005-4.jpg

This one is just a teaser.....something I am going to try to finish by June. We'll see if it happens in time.
009-4.jpg

SDS

man.. those are coming along great Shawn..:eek: looking forward to seeing some more...:thumbup:

are they all spoken for already?? :eek:

They're all looking great Shawn!

That chopper looks mean as hell!

Great work!

Thanks for the comments. The large knife is one of those things I"m working on when I get time so there is no telling when it will get finished.

Mike, Tony will get first choice when there are finished but no others are spoken for at this time.

I'll post more when I start putting handles on.

SDS

edited to correct the type that Tony "M" pointed out to me...........

Last edited:
Okay okay.......so I don't type too well. Since you complained I guess I'll give you, Tony "M", first choice.

SDS

Well the knives are all glued and clamped up for the night. I forgot to take the camera to the shop with me so you'll just have to trust me that they have glue on them.

Two ended up with green canvas micarta, one with natural canvas micarta, and one with black micarta. The one with the most dropped point got the black and it is going to have a thinner handle than the others.

I'll get some more pictures before I start shaping the handles.

SDS

Wow Shawn. This is happening so fast! Thanks a bunch!

I think due to Tony's rudeness at your typo, you should just send the knife to me. :D

I am never rude, specially to a knife maker and fellow fisherman!:thumbup: (unless he's fishing in my spot:D)

I would fully expect to have someone be rude if I stole their fishing spot!

This whole build up is going faster than usual. I've managed to get in much more shop time than usual.

I'll try to get some more pictures up when I get back out to the shop tonight.

SDS

Back