Gettin' Groceries

Set out a handful of bush hooks Wednesday night along the river where we have a camp, using natural bait (crawfish picked out of the mud), the inside of 550 cord for line, and hooks from my psk. Thursday morning, had these three waiting for me.

IMG_3131.jpg

IMG_3136.jpg

Friday, we took the boat out to the bay. While snorkeling, I shot a few mullet with the poke pole, and dove up a pile of scallops.

IMG_3137.jpg

IMG_3143.jpg

Friday night, we waded around the edge of the bay and picked up a dozen blue crabs.

IMG_3146.jpg

Saturday, we cooked it all up, along with some shrimp, and veggies from the garden. Good time, good grub. I really like this Spyderco Salt I. Kept it clipped to me the entire time. Used it and my Leatherman to the skin and fillet the catfish. Scaled and filleted the mullet, and cleaned the crabs with it. The next most used thing was my Apex headlamp. The flood was perfect for setting hooks in the dark, while the spotlight was plenty bright for finding the crabs in the dark.

That looks fantastic.

That mirrors my old life to a tee. When I lived in Jersey, my backyard ended on a large creek that dumped out to the delaware river. Fishing right in my back yard and plenty of blue claws if you were willing to work for them.

Thats about the only thing I miss about the east coast.

Nice work - I've always wanted to let some lines out all night long to see what I come up with.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Maaaaaan i wish we were allowed to use Set lines here........nice catch!

great pics

Grateful

Gold Member
Nice pictures of some good work. Thanks for sharing. That's a good looking hound you have their by the way.
Jim

Last edited:
Awesome pics. Thats some good eatin, thats for sure! Looks like a blast.

Is that just a standard fishing spear? Where does one get one of those? I have plans somewhere on how to make one from an old tent pole, but havent tried it yet.

That carving in the tree is very cool.

Nice haul. I can take a few mullet at once if I leave a long floating line out overnight. The catch is I know the spot and I believe what attracts then to it is the warmth from some sort of outfall, so I don't do it. I'd be very lucky to find a crab worth eating off this coast too. Very occasionally you can find crab big enough to eat but never when you're looking for it. Find peelers to use for bass bait and everything else is spider crabs. Yeah, neat stuff dude.

Nice score :thumbup:

Even if all of that was available to buy here in the city, I shudder to think what it would cost :eek:

Looks like my neck of the woods here in the panhandle of Florida along the gulf coast. My paific salt goes with me on all my kayak ecscursions also.

The Salt series are my favorite all around knives. I keep a Salt 1 clipped to me at all times, and rotate it out for a Pacific Salt when I know I'm doing something outdoors.

It is so nice to just rinse them in whatever water source you can find and put them away.

Awesome pics. Thats some good eatin, thats for sure! Looks like a blast.

Is that just a standard fishing spear? Where does one get one of those? I have plans somewhere on how to make one from an old tent pole, but havent tried it yet.

That carving in the tree is very cool.

It's a poke pole or pole pole spear. Any dive shop should carry them, and you can find them online. Be careful, they are suprisingly quick and powerful. The carving is actually a totem made from a solid piece of lighter, or fatwood.

It's a poke pole or pole pole spear. Any dive shop should carry them, and you can find them online. Be careful, they are suprisingly quick and powerful. The carving is actually a totem made from a solid piece of lighter, or fatwood.

Cool, thanks man. Im gonna look into one of those..:thumbup: