Getting Published

I know several of the makers here have been published in one or more knife magazines recently, and for that............Congratulations!!

How does one go about being recognized and published in these magazines? Did you guys(and gals) send in some photos and a description and hope for the best or did they come looking for you?
I can't imagine anything greater than having my work in one of the leading knife mags.
Thanks for your time.....

It's been my experience that getting your knives photographed by one of the leading knife photographers is the best way. As part of their service they send in the photos with the specifications to each of the mags. From there the editor chooses the photos and knives he likes.

Good luck.

You can send in pictures with the descriptions and prices and if the quality is good enough and they like the knives they will eventually use them.
If you start going to the major knife shows and catch the eye of the right people the mags will start looking for you...
Try for Blades Knife Maker profile articles,that is the easiest way to get a foot in the door,They tell you what they want and where to send the info in the article that is with the different profiles..
Good Luck...
Bruce

Sorry, Jerry, I had to say it.;) I couldn't believe they made that mistake when your name is STAMPED RIGHT ON THE BLADE!!

I have had media exposure in several different kinds of publications for my non knife related work. One of the most valuable things I have learned is that if you are going to be interviewed, make sure that you make up a sheet beforehand with all the things about you that you would like to appear in the article. Especially your name spelling!;) No matter what you say in the interview, 9 times out of 10 what actually appears is what was on the sheet. It helps if you actually write the article for them to some extent if you have the ability.

Also, if you have the option to interview over the phone or by email, choose email so that you have more of a chance to get across what you really want. Otherwise you WILL be misquoted!

All publications are hungry for material. Can you imagine just how hard it is for a magazine to come up with material month after month? Write something up and send along some professional quality pictures. Like Bruce says, they will eventually get around to using it.

Hope Dexter chimes in on this one.:)

The first time I had a knife in major magazine was Tac Knives, the writer was looking for what he called "City Knives" and he E-mailed and asked me to submit something for the article, he noticed a few posts on Bladeforums about my knives that caught his attention.
The second time Steve Dick E-mailed me and asked if I wanted to do a blademaster profile article.
Of course I said HAIL YES..
I also have had knives appear in Blade, and TK that were generated by using Terrill Hoffman for photography!! Cant go wrong with that guy!
The current article in the works for Blade by Kim Breed came about when I E-mailed Dexter, and he gave me Steve Shacklefords contact info. I asked if Blade would be interested in reviewing my Armageddon SKS set. He said yes..
Sometimes it comes to you, sometimes you gotta go after it. It is awesome seeing something you created in a magazine, especially if you have read the magazine for years prior..
Also seeing your stuff in a video like Ron Hoods Woodmaster series is WAY COOL, and can sell as many or more knives than an article in a magazine.
I have totally lucked out on scoring exposure in the few years I have been at it, and have many people to thank for that..
I have to say though it all started with word of mouth from people who were using my knives, and talking about them right here on Bladeforums..
Without these forums and some hard work over the past few years I would be asking the same questions I guess... Hope this helps you some..

Take Care
Trace Rinaldi
www.thrblades.com

I've done a fair bit of freelance writing (some for Knives Illustrated), and would agree with all of the advice posted. Perhaps the only thing that I would add, is don't be shy!

If you want to get your knives out there before the public's eye, you have to promote yourself - which is where most artisans (not just knifemakers), fall short. It starts with great photographs - sure they're not cheap, but your first impression is often the most important.

After you have submitted your photos to your intended markets (magazines, newspapers, e-zines...whatever), follow it up. Email works great, as it will allow them to reply to you at their convenience.

Peter's advice about writing it all down and corresponding by email is right on the money. I did one profile where it was like pulling teeth to get anything out of the maker, whereas others were done via email (with a phone call follow up), and they were a joy to write. All of the pertinent details, dates and names were there in black and white - made my job a lot easier. That being said, I've never been able to take an article sent to me and simply put my name on it and submit it. Everything has required significant rewrites - but hey, that's my job!

Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Back