Getting started in customs

These questions probably have a thousand different answers and I don't want to start a war or anything, I'm just trying to learn with the least pain possible.
I've finally met my production/everyday knife needs though there are some I'm sure I'll keep adding as time goes on. But now to feed the Beast I am looking at custom/art knives. I don't mind making the occasional mistake with less expensive production knives but I'd hate to make a $600+ booboo.
My only tool is the internet, I don't get the chance to handle a knife before I buy it. Can I generally rely on the pictures to tell the truth? What do you guys look for? Do custom collectors tend to buy whatever strikes there fancy? Do they tend to specialize in types, materials used, makers? Probably all of the above? Are there makers names that stand out above the others (NOT looking to start a war!)?
If its of any help in guiding me I have an interest in the mountain man/fur trapper era and zulu/South African/big game.
Hope this isn't too big a bite to chew. Thanks.

I don't see how you can start a flame asking the questions that you did. I think you're going about it in a very reasonable mammer.

First, types of collectors. Yes Virginia, there are different types of collectors. Actually I'd say that there are as many types of collectors as there are colletors Maybe a few more since many of us go for more than one type of knife. Some folks collect variations on a style of knife, all bowies, all art knives, daggers or swords. Others collect a particular makers knives. Then there are the regional collectors or period collectors. I doubt that many know where their collection will go before they get started.

There are some very reputable ways to start collecting and a few that can get really dangerous. I'd suggest that you stay away from e-bay and other auctions until you get a very good handle on what you want and what it's worth. Start with CKD http://www.customknifedirectory.com/ , Blade Gallery http://www.bladegallery.com/ and True North Knives http://www.truenorthknives.com/ . Once you get a feel for what's available and what the general prices are, buy a couple.

Pretty soon you'll find one or more knifemakers that you really like. That's the time to start going to the makers directly and commissioning a knife. Finally, post the pics here. We're always looking for knives to drool over.

jim

There are collectors and then there are accumulators. I tend to accumulate :D I just find it hard to narrow down my choices to one genre'. I have been feeding this hunger for the past couple years and have pretty much covered my bases. I like them all, big bowies, fighters, sub-hilts, hunters, oriental style, tactical folders and dress folders. I am ready to add a nice dagger and am currently in the process of designing one and having it commissioned.

As far as getting started in customs, look around and see what catches your eye. Then use the knowledge found on these forums to help you pick the pieces that you think you will be happy with. I would be hesitant about spending $600 right off the bat on a knife you THINK you will like. Most of my customs have been acquired over the internet. Some were not all they were touted to be. They were easily traded away or sold here at little or no monetary loss. I have got the chance to see the work of many outstanding maker's as a result of this practice and retain the knives that I like the most. The more you see, the better judge of quality you will become.

Good luck on your quest and most importantly have fun and buy what you like.

RavenQ8,

I understand your frustration with basing your purchases off the internet. One thing that I would make sure of is that when you purchase a knife is that the person/place you are buying from will allow you to return/exchange the knife if you aren't pleased. I know that there are retailers in customs on the net that have a proper return policy. You are doing the right thing, ask questions before purchasing.

Regards,
Jeff

Some pretty good advice here. I would add not to limit yourself to a group of makers or purveyors.

Despite the wonderful things the net has done for knives and collecting it is important to travel to shows also. The reason is that there is no substitution for handling knives and talking face to face with others when it comes to getting comfortable with decisions you make as a collector.

Shows are where you can readily make comparisons. Knife perodicals are very inexpensive as far as subscriptions. Read as much as you can. That is not saying that you can take everything you read as gospel, but the more you read and handle knives and meet people the easier it will become to make your decisions with confidence.

Back