Recommendation? Getting started with Cold Steel

I’ve suddenly become interested in Cold Steel — specifically, fixed blades and fixed blades that think they’re little swords. I’m curious enough to spend a little money.

I ordered a Tanto Lite and a Recon Tanto, to prime the pump. I’m leaning towards higher-quality versions of designs like these, but I’d also like to know about some great knives that I might otherwise miss. What are some things that Cold Steel is doing really well right now, that I should check out?

Thanks,

Taylor

If you are just getting started, and like "mini swords", I would recommend their machetes. They are reasonably priced, sturdy, and come in many different shapes and sizes.
I have these. They are thick, and don't flex like regular machetes. Black Bear, Royal Kukri, Wakazashi, Barong, Smatchet, Kukri.

th
th
th
th

th
th

Last edited:
I really like the Grosse Messer, but that might actually be a sword, depending on what definition you want to go by.

Here are some fixed blades that will keep you occupied for years to come. I consider them must-haves with my favorite being the kukri. I use them hard and often and they have never let me down.

1. Gurkha Kukri
2. Trail Master
3. Recon Scout
4. SRK
5. Master Hunter
6. Canadian Belt Knife
image.jpeg

Last edited:
For their fixed blades, I’m partial to the master hunter and Trailmaster.

If you want a proper mini-sword then go for a Laredo Bowie. Splurge a little and get the micarta handle.

I'll attest that their machetes are a fun and functional option as well.

You will like the Leatherneck Tanto in D2. I feel it is a step closer to the more expensive tantos than the Recon Tanto while still being on the affordable side. Definitely worth owning alongside your Recon Tanto. It is an absolute beast vs the refinement of say a Magnum Tanto II.

And of course you will want to try out one of the more expensive tantos. Especially since they are available in a new run of vg-10 San Mai. If you like the shape of the Tanto Lite, you will want the Master Tanto. Its either that or the Magnum Tanto II. Any bigger than that honestly feel like something completely different

Definitely check out the Trail Master and Laredo Bowie, and also the Natchez Bowie.

If you like tantos, then check out the Nightfall Series in 3V, or the new VG-10 San Mai Series.

If you like daggers, check out the Tai Pan.

The SRK and Outdoorsman are also great knives, but smaller (6")

For me the first Trailmaster was an eye opener quickly followed by the awesome Tanto's(the XII is like a short sword to me and that San Mai.....). Call up now and save time by upping your credit card limit.

I’ve suddenly become interested in Cold Steel — specifically, fixed blades and fixed blades that think they’re little swords. I’m curious enough to spend a little money.

I ordered a Tanto Lite and a Recon Tanto, to prime the pump. I’m leaning towards higher-quality versions of designs like these, but I’d also like to know about some great knives that I might otherwise miss. What are some things that Cold Steel is doing really well right now, that I should check out?

Thanks,

Taylor
Hi Taylor, welcome! In my opinion, we're doing our new stonewashed 3V stuff the best right now. The 3V Stonewashed SRK (in stock) and the 3V Stonewashed Master Hunter (out of stock) are my personal favorites. HOWEVER (though they're not available yet), the new A-2 steel items are pretty insane, particularly the Recon Scout and Trail Master. Those should be available soon.

Back