Getting stuff of the Lum tanto Ti handle

I received my first Spyderco knife yesterday, it is a Lum tanto w/ Ti handle and plain edge. I switched the clip so that it is tip up but there is some wierd "stuff" near the top of the handle on the clip side. I have tried using water, Goo Gone, WD-40, Hydrogen Peroxide, and I still can't get the stuff off, any ideas? The seller said that it is probably the lube that Spyderco put in the knife but it is a lot different than any lube I've ever seen. Thanks for your help.

hmmmm - try rubbing alcohol and see if it works - if not, i dont know......i have 3 new spydies, including a lum tanto, and havent seen anything like that....

sifu

Really sorry to read that your first venture into the Spyderworld presented you with a problem. They're such great knives. I hope you won't get too down on the brand because of a problem like this.

I'd try acetone -- fingernail polish remover. If that doesn't do it, I'd be on the horn to the place you bought it from, and let them know you're returning it for one w/out a bunch of strange goop on it. A respectable vendor should replace it cheerfully. And, I'd demand he/she open the box and look the knife over carefully.

Suppose there's a chance that a batch of the knives had the similar problem. Might be worth a call to the Spyderco warranty repair folks to see if they've been dealing with this problem, and know exactly what to use to get it off.

Good luck.

:rolleyes:

Balisong Man, I called Mike Haynes at Spyderco Warranty and Repair. He said that it is in fact their "loc-tite".

He said acetone should remove it and cause no harm to the Ti scales.

He said if that doesn't work, Spyderco would clean it up.

It didn't come anywhere near close to damaging my thoughts on their knives, just looks, doesn't affect the workings of the knife. I'll try acetone, hopefully that'll work, if not I'll just drive up to the Spyderco Factory and see what they can do. Like I said, it is not a huge problem but I just want it to look its best. Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what happens. :)

WOW!!!!!!!! :eek: Acetone works fantastic!!! With WD-40 and Goo Gone I scrubbed on that knife for a while and nothing would happen, the first swipe/pass with acetone (dabbed some on bathroom tissue) and most of the stuff came right off, a few seconds later it was all gone!! A huge thanks to you guys for the great suggestions, I truely appreciate it! :D :D :D

Now I'll go to the Factory to look for a knife for my dad, he has a tiny POS knife and he said he wanted a knife a little bit bigger, I was showing him pics of some knives like the Copilot, CF Cricket, Mouse, Toad, and a few BMs, I think I narrowed it down to the Copilot (plain edge) CF Cricket (plain) Mouse and Toad. What are some average prices I can expect for these knives? Thanks again

Back