GH Khukuri - Mini-test

Gurkha House Service #1 – Mini Test

I recently ordered a Service #1 Khukuri from Craig Gottlieb of Gurkha House. Actually I ordered two, but one was sent as a gift to a fellow “Knife Junky” who happens to be my cousin. The Khukuri arrived two days after placing my order. This relatively short waiting period was due to great customer service on Craig’s part and a minor miracle on the part of the US Post Office.

I was truly amazed when I opened the box and pulled out the Khukuri. The sheath is very well made and solid. The leather work and stitching are very tight and smooth. There are no loose ends or uneven cuts/seams. The Khukuri and both small utility blades fit tightly in the sheath but do not bind in any way. The fit and finish of the knife components and blade were very good to excellent. The Buffalo Horn handle was fitted beautifully with the brass bolster and end cap.

The blade length is 10 1/8 inches. The blade spine, at its thickest point, is 3/8 inches. Overall length from blade tip to the tip of the brass cap on the handle is 15 ¼ inches. The blade easily shaved hair from my arm right out of the box and had what I would describe as a medium polished finish. A little Flitz polish brought the finish up to a light mirror sheen. When held in the light at just the right angle, you can see the remnants of the dimples from the hand forging process. This conjured up images of an old craftsman by a small forge, hammering my blade from a raw piece of metal into its present configuration. This one is mine. There isn’t another one exactly like it anywhere. Although it could be used as a display piece, this knife is a working utility/survival/war tool. A friend of mine at work described it as “A heart-attack serious piece of equipment”. That pretty well sums it up.

Next came the testing phase. First I want to say, right up front, I am NOT any kind of knife expert. I’ve been using and collecting knives since my teens (many, many moons ago) but have little knowledge of metallurgy, stress analysis or the many other sciences involved in the knife making arts. My only experience with large, fixed blade knives has been with the Kabars and a couple of Bowies I used and abused during 20 plus years of working in Africa, Asia and the Middle-east. Some worked very well, some were dismal failures.

I have a few, very basic guidelines when deciding if I should carry and use any knife: Can I trust it to perform the task(s) I carry it for? Would I trust it to hold up in an emergency situation? Will it hold an edge? Can I re-sharpen it without too much hassle? I figure that’s all I really need to know.

The first thing I did with the Khukuri was wrap the handle with a few layers of Medi-Rip (a stretchable, self-adherent bandage). The horn handle of the Service #1 is smooth and somewhat on the thin side for my long fingers. I wrap the handles of all my large knives, hammers, screwdrivers etc. I like the sure-grip surface and cushioning the wrap provides, especially in wet or sweaty conditions. Plus, when the wrap gets too dirty and grimy, I just remove a layer or two for a clean grip surface. Try it, you might like it.

I proceeded out into my back yard for some limb cutting exercises. I have mango and orange trees in my yard. The mango limbs are extremely soft and brittle. They provided no real challenge for the Service #1 which severed limbs up to 1 ½ inches in diameter with ease in one swipe. After ½ hour, the knife would still shave hair from my arm.
Next came the orange trees. The dead limbs I had on the trees were from 4 ¼ inches to 2 ½ inches in diameter. I don’t know what the relative density of orange wood is, but it’s a lot harder than Pine or Poplar. Probably close to Oak in hardness. The Service #1 made deep, positive cuts into the first 4 ½ inch limb with each chop. It never stuck or became lodged in the wood.

After several swipes, about ½ way through the first limb, I noticed that the top of the brass cap on the handle was digging a hole in the heel of my hand. The cap is diamond shaped and comes to a distinct point on the upper and lower ends. A quick trip to the grindstone and a little work with a fine file cured this little annoyance. I worked the cap for a few moments until it had the shape of an inverted tear-drop. Problem solved. I must point out that I have somewhat long, thin fingers and hands. Everyone else who handled my Service #1 found the handle and cap to be very comfortable in its original shape.

After another ½ hour of chopping I noticed that several small sections of the cutting edge, on the curved portion of the blade, had peeled over. These peeled areas were all less than 2 or 3 mm in length and less than 1 mm deep. This did not seem to affect the chopping capabilities of the blade. I kept on chopping until all of the heavier limbs had been severed from the tree and then cut into several pieces.

I stopped to take a break for a while and dress the cutting edge of the blade. Although not sharp enough to shave hair or slice effortlessly through some fruit I had in the kitchen, It would have continued to perform as a chopping tool for a while longer I’m sure. I’ve used a Spyderco Triangle Sharpener on my knives for a number of years. I originally ordered it with the metal “Speed Sleeves” . These work very well for edges that require more than just a touch-up. After 16 passes over the speed sleeves, all traces of the peeled edges were gone. A few quick passes over the medium ceramic stones brought the edge back to shaving sharpness. I was truly surprised at how little effort was involved with the re-sharpening process. No more than 10 minuets total.

Another hour of sectioning the orange limbs (and chopping anything else that was handy) had no adverse effects on the cutting edge. No further sign of peeling. A few passes over the medium stones of the Spyderco system was all that was required to bring the blade back to shaving sharp every ½ hour or so.

Please note: No animals were harmed during the testing process. I confined my cutting to wood, bushes and the occasional piece of PVC lawn sprinkler pipe (much to my wife’s dismay). I didn’t attempt to dismantle a car or chop up a 55 gallon drum with my knife, although I have no doubt this blade could accomplish these things. It really is “A heart-attack serious piece of equipment”. But, this one is MINE!! Remember the dimples in the blade and the old craftsman? He knew I was out here somewhere and made this knife for ME.

Craig at Ghurka House sells a quality product that the guy on the street can afford and can trust. I spoke to the man and know that he believes in his product. Now, I’m a believer too. My Service #1 is with me to stay. It meets all of my guidelines for a “keeper”.

Now I gotta go to Home Depot. What was that lawn sprinkler pipe doing so close to the surface anyway?

Blackdog

------------------
Una salus victus nullam sperare salutem. -Virgil

Blackdog: Thanks for taking the time to give the Service Number One a workout, and for writing a review. Good thinking about grinding down the butcapp brass - some of my larger fingered customers have mentioned the same thing you mentioned. I usually recommend the Bhojpure or the WWII (longer handles), but I think your solution was ingenious. Also, the tape wrapping of the handle is also a great idea. Is the stuff like that tape found on tennis rackets?

As for the damaged sprinkler pipe: I wish I could say that my lifetime guarantee covered damaged sprinkler pipes!

I just received a Bhojpure from Craig yesterday. Fit and finish is high on the blade, handle, scabbard and chakma and karda. The blade fits well in the scabbard and comes with a usuable edge. Will Kwan would probably want to sharpen it up. But that is like saying Joe Talmadge or Steve Harvey would want to thin it out.

It is feels significantly heavier than the Service #1 and is longer, just under 16". The basic grind and blade geometry is the same. It has some detail work on the spine similar to what I have seen on some HI khukuris. This is some engraving with copper (?) inlays, looks nice.

I have done some light work and noticed several obvious benefits to the larger model, most significantly that larger handle is much more comfortable (personal bias). The tip has held up to stabbing/prying at soft woods with no problems, and the edge on the blade wore down evenly without chipping out on some pine. Edge retention seems to be significantly improved over the Service #1 I had. It responds better to burnishing which is a big plus.

I will be looking at it in detail as time passes, and for those curious - I will be digging with it, hitting it on the spine with hard objects and using the spine to hit hard objects. I was considering using my head for the last test but I didn't want to be too extreme.

-Cliff

Cliff: I do agree that the Bhojpure is much better for serious chopping than the Service Number One. I expect that I'll be getting some "trade-up" requests as you continue your testing. The inlay does also add a nice touch. Interestingly, I got a few unfinished blades in my last shipment (they are for an associate of mine who's going to be doing some custom sambar handles for me). The blades were right out of the fire - unpolished. The interesting thing was that you could see how the inlay was done.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

The wrap I use on the handles of my big knives, screwdrivers, hammers etc is more like ace bandage except much thinner. It's about 3" wide. It stretches out like ace bandage and only sticks to itself. No sticky "goo" left on the original handle material when you take it off. I have to re-supply soon as I'm down to my last roll. I'll send you a couple rolls when I get some more.

Cliff,

I may be able to post some results of "head bang" tests on the my Service #1 soon. My wife has threatened to beat me over the head with mine if I chop anything else out of our back yard. The darned thing just makes me want to chop stuff up.

Enjoy the Bhojpure Cliff. I'll be looking forward to your future posts on it.

Blackdog

------------------

Thanks for the info, Black Dog. I'm sure that making the handle fatter with tape or bandages will solve the small handle problem. Hockey or tenis tape is a good idea, it make the horn handles less slippery also.

Craig or Cliff is the Bhojpure the metal handle khukuri that is somewhat similar to the Ang Khola?

Will

Will, no, its a similar geometry to the Service #1, just scaled up, with a regular handle.

-Cliff

Will: Cliff's description of the Bhojpure as a "scaled up Service Number One" is right on target. It's larger, thicker, and has a larger handle. Also, it has some engraving and inlay on the spine (is this the correct term) side of the blade. It's the thickest and heaviest "traditional" blade. I'm thinking of ordering more of the Panawal (the one that's being raffled off on the Gurkha House website) because I think it's probably the thickest khukuri I've received (because of the scale handle with the exposed tang, I'd call it "non-traditional" (forumites correct me on this one if I'm wrong). Weighs just shy of 2 pounds, and is about 16 inches long.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

I recieved a Bhojpure and Service One from Craig almost a month ago. I'm planning to do a more extensive test with other khukuris when I get them. But here's my initial impressions.

From my point of view, the Service One is a very different animal from the Big B. The Service One is a light and very agile weapon. As quick as any big bowie. It felt lively in the hand to a level that really cannot be matched by bigger khuks. 15 inches is a lot of knife but it really didn't feel like a big knife in anyway. I really miss that little guy but I bought it for a friend and couldn't play with it anymore.

The Big B is huge by comparison. It's only an inch longer but much heavier and consequently moves to a different drummer. The point is more dropped so it's not as good at thrusting. What the Bhojpure is great at is chopping wood. I've chopped a couple of diffrent woods with it, even thrown it against trees, the Big B still looks as good as new. Everything about it is built for heavy use. The longer and beefier handle, as already mentioned, is a joy to hold. Everything about this knife says sturdy and robust. Plus you got the little scroll work so I'll look nice in the living room. The overall finish is a class above the service one.

IMHO, the Bhojpure is the better buy unless you're specifically looking for a fighter.

------------------
No, I was never lost. But I was mighty bewildered one time for three days.

--- Daniel Boone

That's what I love about this forum. I'd never thougth of the Service Number One in that regard, nor had I considered the difference in the drop point. Here's a question: do you think the Bhojpure should come in rosewood? I know that rosewood is more durable than horn. With the Bhojpure such a great chopper, it makes sense to build the handle to take more abuse.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

I'd like to see the Service #1 in a rosewood handle that's a bit beefier than the current horn configuration. Just a personal opinion.

I also agree with Tallwingedgoat that the Service #1 is quick in the hand and feels light.

Blackdog

------------------

The only reason I don't bring in a Service Number One with a rosewood handle is that for 10 bucks more, you can get a WWII with a good sized rosewood handle, and an extra 1.5 inches to boot. I don't think that the extra size will degrade tallwingedgoat's accurate assesment of the Service Number One as a thruster, or a "large bowie-type" khukuri. Besides, for some reason, Lalit (the true father of all of my khukuris) doesn't like to "pollute" the Service Number One. He likes it to be as it is sent to the newly minted gurkhas. I know this because I asked him to stop stamping the Service Number One's with the date and "NEPAL" on them, and he cringed in horror
smile.gif

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

Good point about the rosewood on the WWII model. Also, I have to agree with Lalit on his view of keeping the Service #1 "as issued". Having the birthplace and year of birth stamped on the blade doesn't make it work any better, but makes it a bit more personal somehow. Kind of like knowing a little history about your best bird dog or your favorite deer rifle. That might not be the majority opinion, but then again I'm the one who thinks the forging dimples on the blade are a sign of character.

Blackdog

------------------

Wow! I have a Himalayan Imports British Army Service model. I thought they were the only company offering well made Khukuris. Looks like I'll be ordering a Gurkha House Khukuri this week!

Kelvin, Got your order all processed, and will ship tomorrow morning. And I hope you don't think I'm hustling the Rust Free we talked about. The reason I do sell it is because it works and I think it's probably among the top two knife lubricants out there. With khukuris, you have to watch out for rust at every turn, as the high-carbon steel will turn brown quite quickly if not properly treated. With the Rust Free, there's nothing to worry about.

Blackdog: can you tell me a litte more about the "forging dimples?" As usual, I'm learning more about my own product from my customers than they learn from me! I've experimented with polishing the blades with a wheel in an effort to achieve a mirror glass finish, but my interest is tweaked by the dimple thing.

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

The "dimples" I speak of weren't visible until I really polished up the blade with some Flitz metal polish. They're hard to explain. They only become apparent when the polished blade is held "just so" in the light.

I've only ever seen them on the 2 other hand forged blades i've owned. They are the last traces of the blade shaping process.

The blade is by no means rough. It has a beautiful, soft-sheen finish. I suppose the "dimples" could have been eliminated with a little more grinding and polishing. Thank God they weren't. They give the blade character.

Blackdog

------------------

Thanks blackdog. For all readers of this thread (and any future threads on Gurkha House Khukuris) - I want to concentrate any discussion and traffic onto the nonspecific manufacturer's forum from now on. I'll post a new thread with the same name as this one, so any future comments can be directed there. I'll also post this message on other Gurkha House-related threads. Thanks for the cooperation, reviews, and information. If you have any new Gurkha House threads, please post them in the non-specific forum.

Thanks!

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Blackdog, I know this is an older thread, but can you explain more about the "dimples" and how they get there. Are they impressions from the forging tools?

------------------
Craig Gottlieb
Gurkha House
Blade Forums Sponsor

Craig,

The "dimples" are from the forging and hammering process. I'm not a metalurgist or metal working expert by any stretch of the imagination. The dimples are something I recognize from a looooong time ago.

I grew up in a small coal mining village in the mountains of PA. At one end of town was an old man (Mr. Kosty)who had been a blacksmith for the mines all of his life. I used to go to his shop on saturday afternoons. I'd listen to the "Old Timers" tell stories and watch Mr. Kosty heat, hammer, grind and polish various things. I asked him once why he didn't grind and polish one particular item a little bit more, just to get the last of the marks (dimples) out of it. He told me that was his "signature".

To this day I don't know if he was pulling my leg or not, but I always examine hand made metal objects to see if the maker has "signed" his work. Dumb, I know. But hey, I was just a kid and it left an impression. Funny what we remember.

Blackdog

------------------
When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side.......
Sun-Tzu 400 BC

Back