Ghetto Grinds!

The Amazing Virginian

Gold Member
I love Nathan's "these are crap and you don't want this" marketing schtick.
Nathan would have made a fine . . . attorney {ducks}. Or politican {runs and hides}.

A good attorney always gets all the bad news out right up front in direct examination . . . even if it isn't really bad. One of the few practical things I learned in law school. A smart politician will do the same during a campaign. When you do this, you're basically disarming any complaints. And it's always good business in the long term to undersell and over-deliver.

I do the same when I sell things on eBay. I've had more than one person message me to commend me for my honesty when they read one of my listings. I like to think I'm honest, but **to be honest** I do it more just to eliminate complainers. As a result, I have never had a returned item (which is an unprofitable hassle) in 18 years, and I have a 100 percent seller rating.

Seems so much common sense . . . but seems so few practice it. One of the many things I ❤️ about Nathan.

Blues

hovering overhead
Staff member
Super Mod
"Good attorneys"...now there's an oxymoron.

Just kidding. I've met a few good ones that were worthy adversaries in court and whom, had I the need, I would have trusted to provide effective counsel. Well, maybe not a few. Two, for certain. One of whom did a hell of a job trying a case in absentia, and despite his losing, I admired the hell out of his effort. When you need one, you need a good one.

Like you, I have a 100% record...

...against defense attorneys. 🥳

Lorien

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Nate what the hell is a ghetto grind. Idiot.

I'm glad you asked!

32JpnwV.jpg

mvBaAJs.jpg

Q9QNwgn.jpg

JRKDJTy.jpg

We used the Basic 5" Field knife as a mule for both heat treat development in Magnacut and Cruwear and also some manufacturing process refinements. Like most experimentation that I do, it's largely a huge waste of time and resources. However, in this case rather than sink the prototypes in the creek we're going to grind the ugly off and sell them! With a really clean (Mark is a robot) 120 grit grind. An inexpensive "ghetto" satin.

We're known for a very nice hand satin grind. This isn't that. But if you're wanting a BFK and don't want the durable attractive highly functional tumbled finish and instead want to pay $20 extra to get a 120 grit hand ground (with genuine monkey meat interpolation) blade that will show sheath scratches real bad, you now have that option! They're a little thinner too. Because, you know, we ground them.

Also, I legitimately screwed up and put some sheets of linen micarta into the batch of canvas micarta (they got mixed up during the move and I didn't notice) so I figure I'll make those an option with these ground BFKs if you want it. There's not many so it will be first-come-first-serve.

View attachment 1655744
I love it when you talk dirty

David Lennon

Gold Member
Love that your willing to try out these other steels. The easy thing would be to do nothing more and sit back, as I imagine it takes plenty of time and money to try and optimise them but this is what I love about the Carothers brand.
Both steels interest me but especially Magnacut for a stainless option and if they work out i'll be in for some. Watching patiently to see what you think of them.🤞