ghorkas vs pirates

Just saw a special on 20/20 that might interest the formites. It was a special about modern day pirates and their ruthlessness and how their attacks were on the rise. It said that the nervous cruise lines were hiring none other than the Ghorkas to protect their ships. They showed several scenes of the Ghorkas enagaged in some sort of formal training. I know that this is question that has come up before. It was really too fast to see what type of khukuri's they were using. Just thought that some might find this interesting.

Great to see our Ghurka brethren are getting some good duty on the cruise liners. It might even be like a working vacation. I just hope they dont gross out the passengers when they take off the heads of a few pirates :eek:

From the Princess Lines website:
A unique aspect of Princess' onboard security team are the security watchmen, those security personnel mostly seen at the gangways of each Princess ship while in port. These watchmen are from Nepal and are all ex-British Army Gurkha soldiers, a legendary fighting force that has been a part of the British Army for nearly 200 years. Upon completion of their British Army service in the legendary Brigade of Gurkhas, they are recruited by Princess and are assigned on board as part of the ship's regular security staff. In recognition of their service, and in keeping with their history and tradition, their shoulder flashes depict the famous crossed khukris, the legendary fighting knife of the Gurkha.

I know what you are saying, but I would think that they would rather see a pirates blood spilled rather than their own .:D :D

I hope the cruise lines pay them what they are worth, or at least close.

Yep!
Gurkhas security guards have become almost a standard feature with most cruise lines. Most of them are hired through a company called Gurkha International. I can only say good things about the ones who have been working for me.
Fausto

Pappy,
they normally work 12 hours shifts and make about 1500/month. They have P.O. status but they get paid as our philipino AB's (able bodied seaman). On pax ships they do gangways and tender security and take round patrols when at sea . Pax ships are not pirate targets (difficult to board due to their high free board, difficult to control due to their size and not really worth the risk), the need for security comes more from fear of terrorist threats, to prevent stowaways boardings, to maintain a violence free environment among the crew and deter anybody from engaging in illegal activities while onboard.
The security team doesn't carry weapons with the exceptions of mace sprays, electrical stunners and batons (this fairly standard on almost all cruise lines)
Fausto

I don't think I've ever heard anybody anywhere complain about a Gorkha doing a poor job but once in awhile you'll get a complaint because they do it too well.

This is the first time I've ever been tempted to take a cruise.

Judging from the subject line, I thought we were going to be voting. I wanted to see if anyone would vote for the pirates. :D :D

Yeah, right....

I can only say good things about the ones who have been working for me.

I know you've probably mentioned this before Fausto, but what do the Gorkhas that work for you think of your HI khuks, and the fact that you collect them?

The security team doesn't carry weapons with the exceptions of mace sprays, electrical stunners and batons (this fairly standard on almost all cruise lines)

What good would this do against armed pirates? They should at the least have a good khukuri!! and a good full auto MP5 wouldn't hurt either:D

Maui,

Fausto pointed out how hard it would be to board one of those cruise ships, the decks are WAY up there. Pretty hard to sneak on board and take over. A lot of detection risk and hassle with so many people. Kinda like carjacking a full bus to later sell the bus. Pirates want to get something to sell fast and easy. Killing the whole crew is easist and safest. A generic cargo ship loaded with something quick to sell on the black market and crewed by a dozen or so is much better for them.

Seagoing terrorists are another matter. They're likely to be better armed than pirates that steal for a living. They may also be perfectly willing to cause a lot more damage since the primary goal is not to sell stolen stuff. If someone comes alongside and says let us aboard, or we shoot a couple of anti-tank rounds or a stinger missile into the first-class compartments, they're likely pretty much screwed no matter how many khuks/small arms they have. They need outside help. BAD.

Yep, that makes sense Firkin. thanks:)

I know you've probably mentioned this before Fausto, but what do the Gorkhas that work for you think of your HI khuks, and the fact that you collect them

still curious about this however.

I know you've probably mentioned this before Fausto, but what do the Gorkhas that work for you think of your HI khuks, and the fact that you collect them?

Maui,

They know I like Khuks and they bring me a piece every know and then. They have seen some of my H.I. and they were quite impressed. As a sign of appreciation for their presents, I always display the villagers that they brought me in my office for everyone to see.
Frankly speaking, I feel they think that I'm slightly on the nut side but they are too polite to tell me.

What good would this do against armed pirates? They should at the least have a good khukuri!! and a good full auto MP5 wouldn't hurt either

Firkin just nailed down the whole situation for what concerns passenger ships.
The gurkha teams that are hired with anti-pirates purposes are usually deployed on cargo ships which are carrying very valuable cargo and are forced to trade in pirates infested areas. These guys are fully equipped and they are there to make full use of their equipment.

Fausto

Frankly speaking, I feel they think that I'm slightly on the nut side but they are too polite to tell me.

Funny, that's the same reaction I get from most people I know when they find out I collect giant curvy blades (at least I think its because of the blades:rolleyes: ) ;)

Back