Giant Chitlangi Bowie finds home, WOW!

Well I was lucky enough to snag the Giant Chitlangi Bowie from 10-4-07.
It is AWESOME. A wonderful addition to my beloved collection of multi-fulleredblades from HI.
This is a wonderful design and I thank lefthandblack and Yangdu and HI for this overwhelming knife.:D
Can you tell I love it?
It arrived just over a week ago and I have been playing with and working on it for that time. I always find that working on my knives makes them feel more mine. I have found I love working on wood handles these days. I do not have the skills of Steve F. or some of HI's other woodchucks, but I have fun none the less. I have found that the wood tends to shrink over the time from making the knife at HI and the time it gets to me. The chiruwa style blades show it the most. I started by taking the metal of the handle down so as to blend the metal/wood junction a little better. I then start sanding the wood and applying BLO to the wood. I only go down to 400 grit in the sanding as I like my handles a little tacky. Once I got the wood properly treated with the BLO I apply bowling alley wax and buff. It gives a nice smooth and tacky handle.
This Bowie came very sharp, but I touched it up just a little for the fun of it. IT shaves easily!!:eek: The fullers are beautiful, and the overall craftsmanship is superb and fit and finish is wonderful. My pictures will not do them justice I am sure. This is one fun blade. It is just over 24" oal with a 17" blade about .400 thick. It weighs in at over 3 1/4 pounds, so it is by no means a light weight. I look forward to taking it out for some chopping soon to put it and me to the test chopping.
This is a great addition to the HI line-up and I thank you Lady Yangdu for the chance to own it.
The only downside I see is that I now feel I need the regular chit bowie from the other day that is still for sale. I have been informed that we can NOT afford it though. :(:eek: She whom must be obeyed is better with money than I and she is unfortunately correct. OH well....
BTW as noted by another forumite recently the sheath is great. HI sheaths have taken great strides forward and this on is flawless in fit and structure.
Overall An awesome package, now to figure how to get it's little brother........... hehehe

Whoa....Nice score....do you need Sherpa guides to carry it?

Beautiful knife....Blade is gorgeous. I'm jealous.

A most beautiful short sword, AA. It really is.

Glad it went to a good home. :D

Mike

Great news, thank you

Archangel, what a great review, and a beautiful, no, STUNNING, blade. I love what you've done with it.:thumbup: The chitlangi bowie is the best new design from HI in this millenium!

Steve

Archangel, what a great review, and a beautiful, no, STUNNING, blade. I love what you've done with it.:thumbup: The chitlangi bowie is the best new design from HI in this millenium!

Steve

I most certainly have to agree with Steve on this particular Chitlangi Bowie and the Chitlangi Bowie in general. Lefthandblack certainly did come up with a winner with his design!!!!:thumbup: :cool: :D

I also received a Chitlangi Bowie in the mail the other day and just haven't got around to posting about it.:eek:
I wasn't aware that they came with the Chiruwa handle and was surprised when I got mine unwrapped and saw that it was. I really prefer the stick tang no matter what sort of knife it is as y'all know, but with the Chitlangi Bowie the Chiruwa handle may be a large benefit because of the effect on the balance it provides so I'm not overly upset or disappointed with it.:)
Like ArchAngel's the wood scales have also shrunk on mine exposing more of the tang and leaving sharp edges that should be fixed before any hard use so as to not cause potential damage to my hand, as if I could anyway :rolleyes:, but that's a minor problem and to be expected with the changes in climate/humidity between Nepal, Reno, and Tulsa.
I love the very heavy and substantial steel guard as well and like the Chiruwa handle I think it adds too the phenomenal balance mine has along with the 9" blade as it balances just slightly ahead of the guard.
With the balance at that point it helps the 1 lb. 7 oz. almost disappear in my hand making the knife feel lighter than it is and consequently making it very, very, fast!!!!
Also too add to mine's appeal it has some very beautiful darker brown wood scales similar too the wood on my full size Foxy Folly.
When I get the go ahead from my doctor to do things once again and hopefully get a bit more feeling back in my fingers I'll fix the handle up much as ArchAngel has his, take some pics and post them.:thumbup: Unlike ArchAngel's mine has white metal fittings and as striking as it is would have been even more striking with a stick tang black horn handle but I guess it wasn't meant to be.;) :)

Thanks for all of the kind words. This is a great design, and as Steve said a stunning blade. All I actually did was smooth up an already sweet knife/sword. I just love to tinker and polish and in the process bond with the blade. It is just so much fun working on something so nice.
I need to get one of the regular size ones now and see what kind of woodsy day to day user it would make. This big baby is more of a massive tree feller than day to day user, but I do intend to give it a go when time permits.;)
Yangdu, and HI, keep up the inovative and creative work. Your willingness to try new designs that your customers want to see made is one of the reasons I have been buying HI since 2000 or so and intend to keep buying for as long as cash/and life permits.

GREAT JOB!!:thumbup::D

Back