Giant SOG folder

yoda4561

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi, first time I've posted here. Im sorry to say I dont own any sogs, nice work though
smile.gif
At a gunshow recently, I had the chance to handle a "giant" version of what apeared to be a tomcat. It had steel bolsters and micarta scales. The blade appeared to be gun blued. The sheer massiveness of the thing was impressive. The seller said something about said folder being subbmited as a folding knife for special operations groups. Any substance to such a claim?

This thing had about a 4.5 inch blade and a 6 inch long handle...lol.... the lock bar was 1/4 of an inch thick!!!!!!

Hi Yoda,

The knife you are referring to is a very old model of SOG's which has been discontinued for many years. It is called the Team Leader. I personally don't have any of the stats on the knife, but you are right, it was a MASSIVE folder. Blade length was in the 4-5" range. The Team Leader was the third knife SOG ever produced (The SOG Bowie was first, the Trident was second…and the Tomcat was fourth). I believe that only about 250 were made.

Unfortunately, this knife was not successful for us, but it has received a bit of a "cult" following. From its strengths and weaknesses, we learned a great deal. Those lessons resulted in the Tomcat (Blade Magazine's Knife of the Year for 1988...our first major award). If you saw this knife at a gun show and it was in good shape, it is likely worth some money as a collector's knife.

Thanks for asking about this knife.
smile.gif

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

Hi!
Ron can you tell me the original retail-price of the SOG - Teamleader?
TIA
Greetings
red

Hi Guys,

I've been trying to get more information on the Team Leader (such as price and specs). Be patient. I'll post my finding when I get them. Regarding a picture...probably not. Sorry.

Ron@SOG

------------------
Email: ron@sogknives.com

Back