Gift suggestions for a Brother-In-Law?

V-1

I'd like to get my brother -in-law a fixed blade as a wedding gift. We've aready gotten them (husband & wife) a nice wedding gift but I'd like to get him a little something extra because he's a really stand up guy who did the right thing.

Any suggestions on a moderately priced (under $75) fixed blade for him? It'd be used for everything from camping, food prep, self-defense, etc. Basically everyday use type of functions. I have a couple ideas I'm bouncing around but I'd like some other input in case I over looked something.

Thanks in advance for the help!

flylock

Platinum Member
Kabar Mark 2 or Queen Premium hunter might be good in that price range

My lowlife EX-brother in law, after NOT heeding my warnings to stop pestering my sister & stop his new girlfriend phoning and leaving nasty messages on her phone, now needs a new car door.
Had a little chat with him the other day, the 2nd "little chat" we've had, so far. At the first, I indicated what Id do to him with some nice chopping & slicing motions on the hood of his car, left afew scratches as youd expect.
But the other day, I went a little further & punched my Kabar through his door! No discernible damage to the blade either, afew scratches but not TOO bad. (hurt my hand, though!) I think he's got the message now. Dont **** with my family!
He'll probably be dead soon, anyway, got loansharks & drugdealers chasing him for money, yep, he's a real prince!!!

StuToffee said:
My lowlife EX-brother in law, after NOT heeding my warnings to stop pestering my sister & stop his new girlfriend phoning and leaving nasty messages on her phone, now needs a new car door.
Had a little chat with him the other day, the 2nd "little chat" we've had, so far. At the first, I indicated what Id do to him with some nice chopping & slicing motions on the hood of his car, left afew scratches as youd expect.
But the other day, I went a little further & punched my Kabar through his door! No discernible damage to the blade either, afew scratches but not TOO bad. (hurt my hand, though!) I think he's got the message now. Dont **** with my family!
He'll probably be dead soon, anyway, got loansharks & drugdealers chasing him for money, yep, he's a real prince!!!

LOL So your suggesting a Ka-Bar:confused:

For a gift, I'd suggest something traditional with natural handle materials, for an extra dose of class.

I wonder if you could get anything from Bark River in your price range? Maybe scrounge for a closeout?

Buck has some very nice fixed-blade knives, some available with wood handles. Knifeworks has the Special, Vangard, and woodsman with wood:
http://www.knifeworks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=328

The Scandanavian-syle knives are usually made with natural local materials and are very stylish. Here is a highly-regarded store with several authentic imported brands in stock, and most are in your price range:
http://www.ragweedforge.com/Welcome.html

Happy shopping,
-Bob

Take a look at the Buck 120 General. Although it is discontinued by Buck they are still readily available in your price range. There are actually a great number of knives that will fill the needs and price that you mentioned. The 420HC that Buck uses has served me well since I was 12. I am an admitted steel snob now but still consider 420HC as great general purpose steel for the price, just don't pry or twist too much with it!
It will break big time!!!

V-1, I'm a south Central PA boy myself, where abouts do you hail from?

I own a lot of toys:) but when it comes to presents, I go Benchmade. Not knowing your bro-in-law, here are some suggestions around your price point. The links are to Benchmade's pages, which list full MSRP - these are all available online (New Graham, 1SKS, etc) in your range. And they're all made in the USA, and marked that way.:D

211 Activator - small enough for pocket carry, a gent's fixed blade.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=211

180 Outbounder - an elegant hunter/user, laminated wood, uncoated D2.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=180

151 Fixed Griptilian - a more high tech appearing piece in a similar size and style, if that's more his thing.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=151

156 CSK - If he's more of a "Now THAT's a knife!" guy. Six inch blade of black coated D2, 0.175" thick.

http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=156

Would you consider a folder? I'd think that would be more usable on a day to day basis.

My mom and I bought my dad a 771 osborne (red/black handle, 154cm) for about $80 last father's day...we got it online at some random ass shop because it had been discontinued.

V-1

Thanks for the suggestions guys. There were a few that I hadn't thought of. Mainly the Benchmade's that were mentioned. All good stuff.

He's definitely more of a "cutting edge technology" kind of guy then a traditionalist. He'd lean more toward G-10 then wood.

The reason I'm going for a fixed blade is I already got him a Spyderco Scorpius PE about a year or so ago.

Whatever fixed blade I end up with I'm going to pair it up with a nice Surefire flashlight. Since he now has a family that he is responsible for he needs some tools to help take care of them. That and a copy of Janich's "Knife Fighting : A Practical Course" book. He already has a cell phone. These items should cover the basics for him until he can afford a firearm and the training to go with it.

Well, anyone else? I'm sure I missed something. :D

G3

Via con dios
Gold Member
Basic Member
RAT-3 if wasn't suggested.

I think I saw it for $73 on knifeworks.com or someplace.

SOG Daggert 1... pretty slick looking, and the double-edged blade is pretty sweet.

If you can swing it with someone else. A Benchmade PRESIDIO OSBOURNE FIXED BLADE, with the serration on both sides is awesome. Had it in the new issue of Tactical Knives I think...

As a wedding present, I wouldn't give daggers and stuff to the guy...
how about the Ken Onion Chef's Knife, VG-10 etc., yet beautiful and with bamboo stand, to show knives can be wholesome and practical and cute and really GOOD for a relationship, symbolizing the hobby is good for both partners, knife-guy husbands can cook, etc. ?
I mean, you're giving him the dagger and tool stuff anyway :thumbup:
best.
t.

I agree. He'll be taking care of his family a lot more with some nice kitchen cutlery than he will with a camping knife (seldom used compared to cooking utensils) or a self-defense knife (can't take care of his family very well from jail).

V-1

puukkoman said:
I agree. He'll be taking care of his family a lot more with some nice kitchen cutlery than he will with a camping knife (seldom used compared to cooking utensils) or a self-defense knife (can't take care of his family very well from jail).

He can't take care of the family when he or the family is dead either. :D

They have a set of all of Spyderco's kitchen knives that were just discontinued. We have them covered on that angle.

Luckily his woman is cool with blades. She carries a Spyderco Navigator herself.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Much appreciated.