Girl Pants

Way over-complicated. It is simply a decision between fashion or function. There are hundreds of companies that offer practical, pocketed, well-fitting pants for women. Their choice to wear them, or not, is entirely up to them. To bemoan the fact that a skin tight pair of jeans does not offer enough carry options makes as much sense as handing out speeding tickets at a NASCAR race. Come on!

Hey! WOW! Guys, thanks a lot! All this cussin and discussin,caused me to come up with a brainstorm! I am gonna see if i could get away with taping Buck "Smidgens" to the backs of my daughters' cellphones. THANKS! regards, Henry

The same companies make and carry outdoor shirts that are in fashion right now. The one I am wearing today is a Columbia Guide Series and has four pockets including one shallow one that was just perfect for my Schrade SP3 Lightweight knife, and has a vented back. It was one of the three I just bought on sale. The other two are Gander Mountain Guide Shirts, one long sleeve and one short. They each have two breast pockets with hidden zip closure Napolean pockets. The pants are lightweight tan ripstop Gander Mountain Guide Series, with four pockets and a cell phone pocket. I bought all of these and a six-pack of pheasant wings (Birddog training) for less than $100.

Not all women carry purses these days, particularly young women and those that do carry them do not always carry them. Carry-friendly clothing is about as close as you are going to get to EDC-ability without doing a surgical implant, IMHO.

My gf is a knife-nut, so all I have to do is give her something "survivally", and she's all over it. But her daughter is another story. She'll lose anything except her cell phone, so my take on it is that unless she sees the value of something, she won't carry it around for long, and if it isn't the right color, she won't carry it at all.

If I were determined to get a girl to to carry around a knife or a fire steel, I'd make darn sure it was pink and had a hello kitty emblem on it somewhere. Glitter and rainbows help too. The less it looks like something a boy would carry the more likely a girl will, at least in my experience. 'Course there are exceptions to every rule.

And a guy can often forget that women will put the darndest things in their bras too. Just saying...

hmmm very treacherous water here.lots of hidden reefs. be very careful. there are girls & there are girls . then there are women.
some have what men would call common sense some scorn men altogether as thick headed brutes.
IMO feminisim was invented by the ugly ones because the evidence suggests that the good sorts have had men at their feet since the dawn of history.to light fires build shelters etc etc.
which brings us to modern day western society. how much use is a fire starter at the mall?the only section of the population in which smoking is increasing is young women so they would likely ask their mates for a light if needed.
oh yeah pants -have a look round-any pair of pants on offer to men will come in a female version. THEY like 'em skin tight -you carry the knives. isn't that how its always been?

Neither girl is a Bladeforum member. So I email your contributions—prior to the last two—to their target audience with this note:

Girls:

I put the question of EDC compatible pants for girls to the Gear section of the Wilderness and Survival forum.

The results astonished me. Presumably emergency-preparedness-conscious members think I should adjust the EDC to your (imaginary) skin tight pants.

Sure. A safety pin, a scalpel blade, and three Q-tips will make a great survival kit.

Eventually some contributors offered decent suggestions.

R

Post Scriptum:

Your responses pro or con are formally invited.

R

One of them has replied.

My reactions:

Clearly, all of these people are men who have never worn women's pants.

Neeman:

A) Not true, although I can always fit a cell phone into my pants. Why? Because I buy pants with the biggest pockets I can find.

B) Does he mean I should attach the survival kit to my cell phone and have it hanging out of my pocket all the time? That sound absurdly inconvenient during the 99.99% of my life when I haven't fallen into a ravine.

VictGerbSogCamill:

My pants are warm. They just don't have pockets big enough for a standard-sized wallet, much less the survival kit. I also don't see wearing pants that are a) made of the flimsiest fabric you have ever seen and/or b) falling off my ass because they're too big. (I suppose the latter issue could be remedied through sufficient weight gain? That'd keep me warmer, too.)

Shotgun:

Having a knife clipped to my belt sounds like a good way to get in trouble with pub safety. Or would this be on the inside of my pants, next to my skin?

Bumppo:

What holster? I suppose I could just straight up carry a swiss army knife in my pocket, but I tend to feel sketchy doing that. Especially when I'm changing for aikido and stuff falls out of my pocket.

Cpl Punishment:

Wait, the secondary carrying implement for a girl is her boyfriend? How does that make any sense at all? Girls carry purses around. Guys can't do that without their dicks falling off. And purses have a much greater carrying capacity than even men's pockets.

Aaand we're coming back to the question of "Who's going to a) shop for and b) finance my new wardrobe?" (Minimum 7 pants, must be nice enough to be worth giving away my existing wardrobe and consequently doing laundry more frequently.)

dafabricata:

I've tried REI. Maybe all the functional women's pants were hidden in the boys section? (My experience is that REI women's pants may have a lot of pockets, but the pockets aren't very big.)

A) I DON'T WEAR TIGHT PANTS. I WEAR PANTS THAT FIT. It doesn't matter how tight the pants are if the pockets are only 3" deep.

B) I don't dress so I can be attractive--especially not to you.

To everyone suggesting that I keep it in a purse: That's where I keep it. Unless I'm going rock climbing, when I shift it into my backpack--because weirdly enough, I don't take my purse climbing with me.

Fanglekai:

Finally! Someone talking sense.

Though I'm a little off-put by the implication that guys do wear the same pants every day. Ew.

jw2n (and everybody else saying "go buy better pants"):

Link me to where. Link me to the specific pairs of pants that you're talking about. Ideally in petite--otherwise, be ready to hem them for me.

My wife wears "girl pants" (shocking!!!).
She always carries a Spyderco Lava, or a Benchmade 707.
A lighter fits easily in the other pocket, and the mini lighters don't make much of a bump in the pocket at all.
She recently started carrying a slim flashlight too.
So, fire making equipment and knife and flashlight will ALL fit in "girl pants" with the stupidly small pockets.:)

Shotgun:

Having a knife clipped to my belt sounds like a good way to get in trouble with pub safety. Or would this be on the inside of my pants, next to my skin?
Yes next to the skin. What's the difference between in the pocket and in the waistband? Dunno why that would make a difference to a cop.

I'm just saying that trying to alter their fashion is a downhill struggle that you'll eventually lose. Girls, especially teen girls, are going to pick what looks good and then maybe they'll think about what you want them to carry. A bunch of EDC "essentials" isn't going to do them any good if they leave them at home cuz they're going to a party and want to wear x,y,z and the fanny pack worth of supplies they'll prolly never use doesn't fit into their wardrobe choice. If you want them to EDC some stuff you need to work with them and not say "hey, you need to wear these pants cuz you can't fit the trauma kit into those." I think you need to try a different approach is all. Of course I don't know these girls so maybe they're okay with you deciding what they wear. I doubt it but it's possible.:confused:

If I don’t have a pocket knife, nothing happens.”

sounds like they don't want, nor do they have the need for the things you are trying to teach them. At some point you need to decide it's not for them and move on.

I taught martial arts for many years, and have encouraged many young women that it would be good for them to study, but if they weren't interested they weren't interested and I wouldn't push it. Same here...They don't see a need nor do they have a desire from what it sounds like.

Yes next to the skin. What's the difference between in the pocket and in the waistband? Dunno why that would make a difference to a cop.

I'm just saying that trying to alter their fashion is a downhill struggle that you'll eventually lose. Girls, especially teen girls, are going to pick what looks good and then maybe they'll think about what you want them to carry. A bunch of EDC "essentials" isn't going to do them any good if they leave them at home cuz they're going to a party and want to wear x,y,z and the fanny pack worth of supplies they'll prolly never use doesn't fit into their wardrobe choice. If you want them to EDC some stuff you need to work with them and not say "hey, you need to wear these pants cuz you can't fit the trauma kit into those." I think you need to try a different approach is all. Of course I don't know these girls so maybe they're okay with you deciding what they wear. I doubt it but it's possible.:confused:

I should dictate what fashions females can wear? My mamma never raised such a fool. I’m not trying to get them to change their clothing style. The kids want pants with good pockets. They want pants that fit. They can’t find both in one garment. I hoped someone here had.

While I’m on the subject, why can’t they find pockets? Why has no one figure out that pockets are good, no matter the wearer’s gender? We’ve had forty years of women's liberation in this country. Why didn’t Gloria Steinem and Bella Azburg do something that would really help women? Give them decent pockets! Is consciousness raising incapable of spotting blue jeans sexism? Why aren’t women boycotting Levi Strauss and Pennies, demanding real pockets? It’s not like Mr. Strauss needs to research the subject. He knows how to make good pockets. He does it for boys all the time.

Loeb Strauss died in 1902. Designers design and producers produce what sells. Current fashion in women's jeans seems to be low rider/tight fitting. Outdoor style pants are generally more generously tailored for movement and their pockets designed for utility. Women's westernwear jeans might suit their needs more than those more stylish ones. There are a number of cowgirls/ horsewomen who do carry pocket knives and don't like their pants skin-tight.

http://www.rods.com/Stone-Wash-Cowgirl-Up-Jeans,11419.html

Neither girl is a Bladeforum member. So I email your contributions—prior to the last two—to their target audience with this note:

Girls:

I put the question of EDC compatible pants for girls to the Gear section of the Wilderness and Survival forum.

The results astonished me. Presumably emergency-preparedness-conscious members think I should adjust the EDC to your (imaginary) skin tight pants.

Sure. A safety pin, a scalpel blade, and three Q-tips will make a great survival kit.

Eventually some contributors offered decent suggestions.

R

Post Scriptum:

Your responses pro or con are formally invited.

R

One of them has replied.
Link me to where. Link me to the specific pairs of pants that you're talking about. Ideally in petite--otherwise, be ready to hem them for me.[/I]

Fascinating exchange. Thank you Raymond.

Maybe the EDC gear needs to be modified to suit women instead of modifying the clothes to suit the gear. My daughter occasionally uses some chopstick looking things to hold her hair up in a ball on top of her head. If those same chopstick looking things had a fire steel in one stick and a striker in the other and still looked fashionable enough that no one could tell it was survival gear....she might just wear it. I wonder what the girls would think about survival fashion accessories? hmmm I would be interested to hear the response from the young ladies about that suggestion Ray. If they like the idea maybe they can suggest a list of things they wear as accessories and we can all come up with ways to modify those to include some needed gear with fashion in mind.

Maybe the EDC gear needs to be modified to suit women instead of modifying the clothes to suit the gear. My daughter occasionally uses some chopstick looking things to hold her hair up in a ball on top of her head. If those same chopstick looking things had a fire steel in one stick and a striker in the other and still looked fashionable enough that no one could tell it was survival gear....she might just wear it. I wonder what the girls would think about survival fashion accessories? hmmm I would be interested to hear the response from the young ladies about that suggestion Ray. If they like the idea maybe they can suggest a list of things they wear as accessories and we can all come up with ways to modify those to include some needed gear with fashion in mind.

I'd really have my work cut out for me, convincing either to dress like Eliza Doolittle at the ball! It's not going to happen.

Somebody makes break-down chop sticks. The thick end hollow, the wood end threaded. Collapsed, they nest one inside of each other.

Why not do the same thing with chopsticks? A ferro rod inside one, a striker inside the other?

Last edited:
sounds like they don't want, nor do they have the need for the things you are trying to teach them. At some point you need to decide it's not for them and move on.

I taught martial arts for many years, and have encouraged many young women that it would be good for them to study, but if they weren't interested they weren't interested and I wouldn't push it. Same here...They don't see a need nor do they have a desire from what it sounds like.

It’s not that simple. A few years back I asked the same girl if she wanted me to stop giving her these stupid presents. She said no, she liked getting them.

Her problem is that she learns by doing. Give her a wall to climb or a canoe to paddle or a meeting to participate in and she’s happy as a clam at high tide. She needs the same thing for the basic skills we value. If I could teach her to start a fire or use a compass, she’d love it. But the commute from Seattle to Boston is a killer. So far she hasn’t discovered anyone local who can tell her, “No, dummy! You need more fine kindling first!”

Loeb Strauss died in 1902. Designers design and producers produce what sells. Current fashion in women's jeans seems to be low rider/tight fitting. Outdoor style pants are generally more generously tailored for movement and their pockets designed for utility. Women's westernwear jeans might suit their needs more than those more stylish ones. There are a number of cowgirls/ horsewomen who do carry pocket knives and don't like their pants skin-tight.

http://www.rods.com/Stone-Wash-Cowgirl-Up-Jeans,11419.html

Codger,

Sorry about that paragraph. I couldn’t find the Tongue In Cheek emoticon. ;)

Codger,

Sorry about that paragraph. I couldn’t find the Tongue In Cheek emoticon. ;)

Likewise! :D

But yep, girl pants with usable pockets are made. But when people chose style over substance...

And... outdoor sports pants do seem to be a distinct possibility (Canoing, climbing, hiking). As well as a sports-oriented over-the-shoulder bag like a Camelback. No, they are not likely to wear the same pants every day. Who does? Not me. But then they could carry a go-go-gadget keyring like some of us do.

Back