1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Girlfriend Gift Help (Strait Razor)

Discussion in 'Razors, Scissors, & Personal Grooming' started by BadComrade, Oct 9, 2018.

1. BadComrade

BadComrade Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2017
    So my girlfriend has been a hairdresser for about 8 years and works at a women's hair salon. The other day she gave me a cut and used a "strait razor" at the end on the back of my neck.

I asked to see her strait razor being a knife guy myself and I was shocked to see her "strait razor" was basically a strait razor handle that held a utility knife box cutter rather than a real blade.

I myself am not really into strait razors, but I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for a nice one for someone who uses it for their profession. I see Boker sells a lot of them.

2. kn4wd

kn4wd

Jan 20, 2014
    I believe you will find that the reason most barbers don't use straights anymore is the chance of a lawsuit from bloodborne diseases . the ones around here who use them use replaceable blade straights. I have bought a lot of my straights from older barbers who all said the same they were warned against using the non replaceable blades. that being said if I bought a new one it would be from a custom maker. dovo, fromm and boker aint what they used to be.

GABaus likes this.
  3. gadgetgeek

gadgetgeek

May 19, 2007
    If you want one for yourself, then go look up whipped dog razors, one of the most reputable places to get a shave ready vintage razor. In most states any razor used by a barber has to be autoclaved or disposable, by law. They are also not a utility knife blade in most cases, but a proper razor blade like you'd find in a DE or cartridge razor. For a while Dovo was making a straight with a stainless handle that could be run through an autoclave, but I doubt they still make them, though they are around.

H0kieengineer likes this.
  4. H0kieengineer

H0kieengineer Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 24, 2017
    ^^^
    I second the recommendation for whipped dog shaving. Larry is a great guy and he asks reasonable (~$40) for vintage razors. They are good starters without a big investment and I have used mine for over 4 years.