Giving / Taking Advice on the forums

Mark,
The way to resurrect an old thread is to post a new thread and link the old one. Post the question sort of like, "I was reading this thread from 1998 ....LINK.... and wanted to know if XYZ is still available ( etc)..."

As far as the folks who no the answer not piping in, part of the problem is people today wanting an answer in less than an hour. I have seen hundreds of posts made at 3AM and the poster making a second post at 6AM saying, " ....No one has an answer?...". If the less informed folks would give the folks who have good answers time before posting a bad answer, there would be less bad answers posted.

I see my name mentioned here.
Time is so short these days that most of us are just trying to make knives and just scan over the forums. Ive been on Facebook much more lately than on the forums. The best I can offer is for makers to check out my knife dogs personal forums. I have many many threads there that show my process from beginning to end. Some have hundreds of pictures and most have text.
Please click the links below: if the pictures do not show up you will need to register with Knifedogs.com its free
Bruce

Mark,
The way to resurrect an old thread is to post a new thread and link the old one. Post the question sort of like, "I was reading this thread from 1998 ....LINK.... and wanted to know if XYZ is still available ( etc)..."

As far as the folks who no the answer not piping in, part of the problem is people today wanting an answer in less than an hour. I have seen hundreds of posts made at 3AM and the poster making a second post at 6AM saying, " ....No one has an answer?...". If the less informed folks would give the folks who have good answers time before posting a bad answer, there would be less bad answers posted.
Like @Bruce Bump said, most of us are in the shop!!!

I love being treated like a new guy every time I ask or answer a question... Shows how much turnover there is I guess...

Edge pack with the hammer of Thor, austenized in lava from the depths of Mordor, triple quench in the blood of 72 virgins mixed with yak urine by the light of a blue moon while facing magnetic north. Anything else?

if you think this is bad, you should see the advice given on some of the facebook knife pages ! :grumpy:

Aint that the truth..
though it could be worse, I started making things of steel way before there was a bladeforums.. Back then some of the old smiths were so hateful they would openly get irritated if you asked them for help..In fact there were still around here like that not too many years ago. I watched one guy ask a smith about a process and get accused of trying to "steal ideas" and make money off his work(which in all honesty wasn't worth stealing anyway).. Guys like that give us all a bad name..

Edge pack with the hammer of Thor, austenized in lava from the depths of Mordor, triple quench in the blood of 72 virgins mixed with yak urine by the light of a blue moon while facing magnetic north. Anything else?

Jimping. How could you forget the jimping.

Use of virgins blood not only results in the "auto-temper effect" but also magically causes jimps to appear wherever you wave your authentic Navajo shaman's medicine pouch. Thats why I didn't mention either, although, i should have said "temper" instead of austenize as that is more accurate, right? You would know this if you had read the stickies or used the search function. :p
Jimping. How could you forget the jimping.

I was amazed from the start that this forum is as good as it is. For the most part the experienced makers are respected and there isn't a lot of spouting off. It's been good for my learning curve to date, and I have to thank a ton of folks on this forum for my success so far.
That said, there is always a lot of differing opinion, and sometimes there's just more than one way to skin a cat.
As a new maker I find that if you give something a lot of study you can wade through all the differing advice and find the method that works for you.
Thankfully I don't see a lot of BS here, but I don't read every post....

Yeah, so thank you all experienced makers who take the time to answer our questions here every day.

Ron,
I think you are taking it wrong. If you have made 20 guards, or are a proficient machinist who can advise on milling slots with authority, then you are the exact right person to post an answer. If someone has only done on guard, or has just read about guards, those are to folks we are suggesting should sit back and learn.

Actually there a few that learn really well after getting their Pee Pee smacked for being complete WRONG!:)

I usually answer questions on technique from truly new, and I mean never made a knife before new, posters. Two reasons for this: I figure if it is a pretty mundane, basic question, then I can answer it, leaving the MUCH more experienced members free to answer more complex questions (from guys like me). In addition, I being new, I can still vividly recall every noob error I have made (and will continue to make). Secondly, I feel like the basic novice questions may actually best be answered by someone with recent experience with them. I mean honestly when is the last time Stacey built a paint can forge and quenched his 1084 hack job in canola oil? ;)

What is this paint can you speak of???

I use a Bic lighter and a shot glass of cheap scotch to do HT on Sgian Dubh blades.

Back