GKC Knife Pictures

bikerector

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Pictures of knives only.

Here's a recent broken back seax I made as a practice piece as I'm learning the process of hidden tangs. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. 80crv2 steel and bocote handles

jblat40l.jpg

0zLXKDxl.jpg

mXIah3dl.jpg

Nice!
How did you do the handle?
Drill and file out a solid piece or carve a channel and glue 2 pieces together?

Nice!
How did you do the handle?
Drill and file out a solid piece or carve a channel and glue 2 pieces together?

Thanks!

One-piece. Drill and needle rasps to clean it up. Took a couple trips to the hardware to get some longer drill bits for the drill press as I haven't done one like this before. Also found out the wonders of better rasps, so much faster. The stella rasps from baryonyx were amazing compared to the Chinese things I used previously when I was doing crafting more as a hobby.

Me and David Mary David Mary have been talking a lot about the channel and 2-piece design as a possible rapid construction method with a router for the channel. Possibly even a 3-piece for a nice contrasting layer but that's theoretical so far.

1066vik 1066vik If you want one, send me a message. These are part of a budget offering me and my partners are working on. Or maybe something similar with a different blade shape? Easily under $100 without a sheath.

We sent a few new ones out to be tested by Jake at Canadian Cutting Edge. These ones are designed by me and made by David Mary David Mary for me to my specifications. If you haven't tried something made by David, he does one of the best convex grinds around, IMO.

An updated bushcamp, it's bigger brother the bush brute, and then the Leuku-size blade of the group, the bushete. We also tried out a new handle material for the 1st time on these for the brute and bushete called suretouch which is a layered G10 and rubber material that adds grip and color contrast (can't ignore the aesthetic piece :)). We're really interested in shock absorption characteristics of the suretouch.

Thanks for the kind words Chad.

From the feel in hand, SureTouch will be good for choppers. I think it will absorb shock better than G10, micarta, or wood.

The patina on those MUK are quite nice, subtle.

Back