Glass-blasted Micarta

When your micarta inlay goes in for a spa treatment, they remove the inlays and blast the titanium. Then put the micarta inlays back on with new 3M tape. It’s not that hard to figure out. 🤣🤦‍♂️
Nope

And there you have it folks
What I’m saying is the intent of the glass blast is to change the texture of titanium, not change the micarta. The effect on micarta is an unintended change that may be well-received. They don’t “glass blast” the knives in order to make the micarta look better, that’s just slick salesman talk at trade shows. Micarta is more receptive of the beads due to the texture, the wood would have damage to the finish and texture.

Easy to figure out.

What I’m saying is the intent of the glass blast is to change the texture of titanium, not change the micarta. The effect on micarta is an unintended change that may be well-received. They don’t “glass blast” the knives in order to make the micarta look better, that’s just slick salesman talk at trade shows. Micarta is more receptive of the beads due to the texture, the wood would have damage to the finish and texture.

Easy to figure out.
Agreed

Easy to figure out.

And what I'm asking is what that effect on the micarta is. This thread has jumped the shark.

And what I'm asking is what that effect on the micarta is. This thread has jumped the shark.
No it hasn’t. Your OP describes that you assumed the intent of glass blasting was to change the micarta appearance. We had some minor back and forth on that point. Don’t get rustled Jimmies over it, you can ascertain by the last couple of remarks that point has been put to rest.

The video I posted directly from Chris Reeve showed that there is a change to the micarta by the glass blast, and now you're descending into the law of double effect. Whether you believe the change is intended or not, the change exists, and I'm just trying to see if people out there have experienced it first hand for themselves. That's all.

I stand corrected. This must be something new they are doing with the glass blast. I’m pretty sure they never sand blasted the micarta without taking the inlays out. The sand would be to abrasive. Anyways, im not a fan. I’ll keep my original 21s, and my inlay with polished titanium.

I have a small 21 that was glass blasted before I bought it. The micarta is smoother and nearly solid black like ebony inlay and different than the stock micarta. That is what it will look like if glass blasted after assembly, I believe.

It feels and looks different than regular micarta. It’s smoother. Still grippy but not as grippy. I don’t like it as much. If I ever send it in, I’ll have it blasted normal. I am attached to this 21 for other reasons but I don’t think I’d glass blast one myself.

Edit- I don’t know if glass blasted from the factory is done before or after inlay. Mine was glass blasted years later.

Thank you! A real answer that is consistent with what Fred Eisen said. It sounds like I might really like this. I like the glass blast on wood. I know that the wood itself is not blasted, but it's more slick given the smoothness of the titanium with the slick/glossy inlay. I like the feel in hand, and it sounds like glass blasted micarta will be slick, but not as much as the wood, especially if you're saying that it's still grippy.

Back