Glock Model 81 Field Knife Review

After using and carrying so many knives from WSKs to Beckers to SOG and Kabars I ended up with a Glock FM 78.
I still keep the other knives, but the one I carry most is the Glock

I carry a Glock pistol daily. I really think I need one of these knives to go along with it:)
Great review

Would the knife be appropriate for hunting you think? Quartering (as it involves separating large bones at the joint) can be very tough on knives, and i've been considering upgrading to either a Ka-Bar or this... Would the spring steel help it hold it's edge through the entire job? Better than a Ka-Bar? Thanks

I think he kabar would be better suited for this job…the spring steel is soft, and would not hold the same sharp edge as the kabar. Their 1095 crovan is a great steel. I would deffinitly choose the kabar.

The Glock knives are poor choices for hunting use in processing game.
The blade profile is inefficient, the steel won't hold the edge as long as better grades & hardnesses do. Certainly not as well as a KaBar.

Back in the mid-70s I carried an M7 bayonet in the wilds for a bit. I'd bought it from a guy I was stationed with overseas who had....acquired... several from an unspecified source. :)
It was all I had & all I could afford to carry when I got out, but I didn't carry if for long.
The blade style on the M7 and the Glock knives is primarily a double-edged dagger incarnation, and it can be used for purposes other than stabbing, but it's just not the best way to go for other uses.

The Glock knife isn't junk, it's just what it is.
Denis

I have the model 78 (non saw back). The edge and tip from the factory are horrible. However, 5-10 bucks at a professional sharpener to re-profile the edge and set the tip is money well spent. My 78 is now shaving sharp, add I had the edge backed up to about an 8th of an inch. It had a nice utility tip on it. Holds an edge decently, and is now very easy to re-sharpen.

It if a great knife, esp for the price. And the knife that is within it (and comes out, once you get the edge and tip issues sorted) is amazing.
I have a 78 as well, and the factory edge was servicable but after just a couple strokes on the sharpmaker it is shaving sharp. I am really pleased with mine.

It's flat ground. I just received one of these and I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised. It's half the weight of similar knives and seems very solid. I hope to give it a good workout soon. It will be fun comparing it to my KaBar and my old Gerber Command II.

It's extremly solid. Though the tang goes only 2/3 into the handle, it won't fail. I used the handle as a step (simply had to test it) - no problem.

Thanks for the post, and the reminder. I had a couple of these and a couple of the 78s at one time. I liked the root saw on the 81 a lot. I used to keep one on the shoulder strap of my back pack and one in a go bag. Sold all of them a decade ago as part of funding a custody battle, and just never remembered to replace them. None of them came with a great edge, but all sharpened up ok with some work. I like the little bit of storage space in the end of the handle :) , but the sheath took a little getting used to.

I recently ordered one block 81... Hope I did right....I wanted to buy eickhorn but its too costly

I have owned probably 5 or 6 FM78s--gave some to friends and still own 3. I've used them in 5 throwing knife tournaments and never had one break, although have had a few tips bend slightly. Best throwers ever in my book. I agree my Becker BK10 (1095 steel) is a much better cutter, but my FM78s can get shaving sharp, can take a pounding and I can buy them $24 locally. I also prefer Glock sheath to standard Becker sheath any day.

Back