Going from DMT Fine to DMT Extra Extra Fine? Possible?

I’ve been using an assortment of waterstones, but for various reason (mostly speed - both in cutting speed and speedier setup and clean up) I’m going to get a diamond set up as well. I’ll use this on various pocket knives with some ‘semi-super steels’ too.

I recently bought a DMT Diasharp 8x3 in Fine but want to go higher in refinement.

Given how well they cut, can I jump to Extra Extra Fine, or is that too big of a progression?

I prefer to just purchase one stone at this time, so it would be Extra Fine or Extra Extra Fine.

I’ve been getting really sharp edges on CTS-XHP and S30V using the DMT Fine and then stropping with diamond and CBN pastes.

But, I’m starting to question (or the seed has been planted) that stropped edges don’t last as long as edges of equal sharpness that come straight off the stone. Hence my desire to go to EF or EEF.

Thanks in advance.

Have you considered the 6µm Medium Extrafine? Some people who have used both the ME and EE and prefer the ME; it seems to have less contamination problems. (I have used neither.)

Have you considered the 6µm Medium Extrafine? Some people who have used both the ME and EE and prefer the ME; it seems to have less contamination problems. (I have used neither.)

I'm a big fan of the EEF. I usually progress from medium to EEF.

Are you guys referring to DMT stones? I’m not aware of medium extra fine or even medium.

I thought DMT goes XXC- XC-C-F-EF-EEF?

edit - I searched and saw the Medium Extra Fine. I didn’t know about it. Interesting. Makes the jump from Fine more doable than going Fine to EEF. Thanks.

I use DMT 6x2'' fine/coarse for most of my needs, but these diamond plates mellow out over time/age! as the diamonds tend to smooth-out with use, but overall work grate for free hand sharpening.

The DMT coarse to DMT EE Fine is an awesome combo. The EEF and the awesomeness that it is also provides that "no need to strop" edge that still has a ton of bite for its grit rating.

Exactly.
With that stone, my sharpening is very streamlined.
I can get a refined toothy edge with no time with DMT coarse and EEF.

Jason B. Jason B. miso2 miso2 Have either of you used the Medium Extrafine? Is there anything superior about it? I know I read at least one review that indicated it was more consistent than the EE but I cannot find it now.

I did find something that might explain that impression however:

www.harvarddoublereeds.com/products/abrasives/dmt-extra-extra-fine-bench-diamond-stone/ said:
This 8 x 3 medium extra fine diamond stone is a "pre-broken-in" 4000 grit . It is made especially for Harvard Double Reeds by DMT. This stone has gone through a custom breaking in process at DMT by the request of John Ferrillo. This stone is immediately ready to be used with our sharpening system to achieve a sharp edge that scrapes cane easily!

Last edited:
No, I have not.
But it sounds interesting and may work as well.
If you need something cheaper, you can use the 4" Aligner EEF stone for the purpose instead of a full size bench stone, if you just sharpen sub 4" knives, like I do.

I’ve been using an assortment of waterstones, but for various reason (mostly speed - both in cutting speed and speedier setup and clean up) I’m going to get a diamond set up as well. I’ll use this on various pocket knives with some ‘semi-super steels’ too.

I recently bought a DMT Diasharp 8x3 in Fine but want to go higher in refinement.

Given how well they cut, can I jump to Extra Extra Fine, or is that too big of a progression?

I prefer to just purchase one stone at this time, so it would be Extra Fine or Extra Extra Fine.

I’ve been getting really sharp edges on CTS-XHP and S30V using the DMT Fine and then stropping with diamond and CBN pastes.

But, I’m starting to question (or the seed has been planted) that stropped edges don’t last as long as edges of equal sharpness that come straight off the stone. Hence my desire to go to EF or EEF.

Thanks in advance.

GREAT question!! Only because I got my first freeehand stone and its the DMT Fine stone (~600 grit) and a Beavercraft strop with green compound. I am also looking to add onemore stone and one more compound!

DMT Abrasives: EXTRA COARSE. 220 MESH. 60 MICRON
COARSE. 325 MESH. 45 MICRON
FINE. 600 MESH. 25 MICRON
EXTRA FINE. 1200 MESH. 9 MICRON
EXTRA EXTRA FINE 8000 MESH. 3 MICRON
Try to get a stone that is half way in between the FINE and the green compound.

DMT makes a "medium extra fine" as well. 4000 mesh 6 micron. Sort of like a Spyerdco Fine.

Because I cannot STAND the EF 1200 mesh stone from DMT, I go straight from Fine to EEF and LOVE that edge.

Because I cannot STAND the EF 1200 mesh stone from DMT, I go straight from Fine to EEF and LOVE that edge.

I keep reading people having a dislike for a specific DMT stone, but not consistently as to which one. At least once it was the EEF, with the reviewer greatly preferring the Medium Extrafine. I wonder if DMT has bad runs. What do you dislike about the EF 1200, and have you tried more than one?

Back