Going Kookie for a Kukri.

Well seeing OKC Kukri's going for five oh oh decimal oh oh abouts I had to get another one. Got spring trail cleaning to do, sort of, the nephew and nieces who want to deer hunt will be trail cleaning this year.

The OKC is a good sized general purpose machete type Kukri. Its just plain handy that's about it.

I gotta say I absolutely love my Ontario KLO. Kukri purists call any kukri not made in Nepal , a "KLO or kukri like object". Once I got it wicked sharp, it went through brush like a light saber. I once cut myself with it, while wiping the oil off it after it's initial wicked sharp sharpening. It went through 4 layers of paper towels and across all 4 fingers. I didn't even realize that I had cut myself until I felt the stickiness. Legend has it that every time a kukri is drawn, it has to draw blood. Mine sure did the first time I drew it, to sharpen it. But has not since, at least not on me. But it has drawn blood on others who did not handle it with care.

OKC Kukri is more of the machete type as its sold as from a "Real" Kukri, but its still a large slicing and slashing blade for things that need hacking and slashing.

Everyone has different opinions. My definition of a machete is a thin blade, as in 1/8" or close to it. 1/4" thick blade is not a machete in my book, even though some makers may have 1/4" thick blade labeled as one. But a maker has the right to call their product what ever they want to. I sure do love my OKC Kukri though.

A while back I posted a pic of my 12" Ontario machete while I was (abusing it) batoning it through a knot in a piece of firewood. It was bent at an obscene angle towards the tip. I continued batoning it all the way through. To my absolute amazement it straightened out 100%. That says a lot about the steel and the heat treat. I still have it. Still loving it.

With the large FFG of the blade of the OKC Kukri, to me it fits the machete category. But a good machete that can do heavy to light work combinations. Sis stole one already, going to have to get another one. It also make a great camp knife blade. Its a blade that is decent when it covers many potential jobs I find, so it can slip from category to category of definitions of what it can be called. That makes it a very decent blade no matter what category you put it in.

To me a "True" Kukri is a saber grind, but the OKC version of it is a more versatile big blade. For its wood and vegetation killing jobs.

Well seeing OKC Kukri's going for five oh oh decimal oh oh abouts I had to get another one.
If I'm reading it right, that's $500.00 - for an Ontario?? I'll assume you were mistaken... Either that, or this Ontario fanboy thing has taken a stronger hold of you than any of us could have anticipated.

That oh was a spacing oh. Not an oh oh. Sorry for the advanced tacti-c00liOH tacti-typing I did that can be hard to understand by others.

Are they still 1095 or are they now 1075
Should be 1075, there are several long listed reasons why they gone and went to 1075. But for the larger thwacking and hacking and batactitoning blades, 1075 is more fitted for such tasks. (*Hiding the fact is just sort of quoted more experted people than one's self tacti-typing this*) 1075 wears better at the cost of being needed to be sharpened a little bit more, that's the long of the short of it. I got both 1095 knives and 1075 steel knives of the same model and can't tell the difference yet. With the exit from 5160 steel knives, I'll just get SP-10 and SP-8 replacement blades if they get "Lost" by a relative I loan them to. (its a long standing joke that they "Lost" it and I say "Oh well." as a means of me saying "Ok Keep it." seeing that they found it to useful to give back. And I want the relative or friend to have a good sturdy large blade for a car knife or wilderhood trekking to b e there when they need one. A few times their kids said or came out with it saying "Its in the bug put pack Dad!" or "Here it is!" as one cute little one came out trying to give it back to me. "Itz not nice to steal dad!" Then I snuck it back to back to him when the kids weren't looking.)

Back