Gonna order a Randall #1 Soon...

Hi all, guess this is the place to seek some input on my first "higher dollar" knife (my first "high dollar" was my BF D2 Sifu).

A work buddy of mine recently ordered a Thorpe Bowie and he's been nagging me about when I'll order my #1 like I said I would. :)

I've never handled a Randall (that I can remember) and the most important part of the "equation" for me will be the handle comfort and utility. I'm torn between the standard leather handle and the micarta: either the single finger groove or the Border Patrol style.

Would I have any problem filing/reshaping the Micarta? I'm leaning towards the single finger groove green Micarta. It will also be a carbon steel 8" blade with a single (lower) brass guard and grooving on the top ahead of the hilt. The knife will be a user, not a collectable, although I can't say I will be a "hard corps user" of any kind.

I also plan to have the blade Parkerized after I get it (just dipped into the solution up to the hilt--I don't think Parkerizing involves any kind of heat) and I'll black out the brass hilt (possibly after reducing it a bit) with some of that stuff available from Brownell's.

Besides my taste in Randalls :p any comments? BTW, this blade is patterned after a fictional "character" of mine, which is why no one can blame me for the strange work. It's my character's doing, and my Series '70 G.M. is already headed in the same direction...:D

Fictionally, but not in a gaudy fashion,
Karl

Good choice, I think 8" is rather long but it is for you. I have both a leather and black micarta and like them both. The problem is, theyr'e hand made, making a "special" feel to each hand. I sold many after receiving one in the mail because they didn't fit ME. I suggest going to a dealer and discussing what they have, and of course friends or gun shows to get a better idea.
I did blue the blade on my first Randall in the 60's. I used flat black paint on the hilt. After I got back stateside, I removed all that and it still looked original. Just food for thought. All the best!;)

If I remember right,parkerizing does require heat,solution is on stovetop article to be done is put in container and held at whatever temp etc.I have to go w/the paint idea or something similar.

Thanks guys. It helps to have some input. I guess three years will be enough to research my options, too! Maybe cold blue will have to do. I'd be afraid to put much heat onto the blade for fear of doing something to loosen the bond between handle and tang.

Sure wish they offered Parkerizing and/or other finishes as an option though. I know there is at least one major metal finishing company in Florida.

Karl

Funny, I have my order form sitting in front of me for a 8" #1. I am going with a single finger grip and considering stainless and nicklel silver hilt (double). If you are serious about a coating, why not see if you can go all the way and have Robar (Phoenix) put their black Rogard on it or maybe Birdsong Black T...both will be pricy but the best if it is even possible to do the coatings on knives. How about the Kalgard Chris Reeve uses on his one piece range?

On a user knife I would go with the single finger grip or the commando. The Border Patrol handle doesn't fit me well.

Dan

Back