Gonna take on my first boot resole.

Hickory n steel

Gold Member
I've been needing a new pair of work boots and last week I found these nice recently discontinued Chippewas on sale for $99 and bought them.

They arrived Friday, and and after a little break in I decided to try them out today.
It only took 30 seconds to discover that the vibram gumlite soles on these are absolutely not slip resistant as they were listed, had to change back to my Justin's.

Adding my slightly picky taste for boots ( gotta be traditional, unlined leather, and American made ) to the requirement for slip resistant black boots at work I don't have many options.
Since I got a good deal on these and since I don't particularly like black boots for casual wear I really don't have much to loose.

I found a pair of Goodyear black wedge soles online ( manufacturer specifically lists oil resisting in the specifications) for $27, and then the quart of barge cement was $32 ( I was out and needed some anyways)

As far as I know it should be as simple as peeling off the original outsole, prepping everything, gluing on the new outsole and pounding the crap out of it with a mallet to ensure a good bond, then trimming off the excess and finishing everything up.

All said and done I'll have about the same in these boots as I would had I not got them on clearance, except these will be an oil resistant wedge sole.
If all turns out right these could turn out to be one awesome pair of boots , a sence of satisfaction, and the start of a new skill in my arsenal of repair knowledge.

I have a pair of leather Mountain Light Hikers copies from Cabelas. They finally need a resole after 15 years. My local boot guy retired.

I've thought about trying it my self....but never have. I have contact cement from knife shesths/holster making.

I have a pair of leather Mountain Light Hikers copies from Cabelas. They finally need a resole after 15 years. My local boot guy retired.

I've thought about trying it my self....but never have. I have contact cement from knife shesths/holster making.
Are they Goodyear welt construction or just a glued construction with no welt ?
If theres a welt then they can be resoled and I'd go for it.
You pretty much have nothing to loose unless you can send them off for a resole.

Due to harsh working conditions I wear out the tops of my boots before the soles wear out.

I envy those who can keep a pair of boots for years.

In my college days, I had a pair of Birkenstocks. The problem is the soles have no traction especially in wet conditions. I was able get some Vibram foot soles and heels for a reasonable price. Two tubes of Barge cement later: Birkenstocks with lug soles. It really improved the traction.

My soles came in and I got started.

I had hoped to just peel off the outsole and replace it, but while everything went okay on one it did not on the other, so I've gotta replace the midsole and all of that stuff.

I may need some different thinner leather I can use in place of that foam filler they used, but I'll look around and see what I've got
I've already got the midsoles rough cut out and the smooth side roughed up, didn't have the proper tool so I used a rasp. Wasn't great but it's good enough for the glue to bond to I hope.

Got the shanks glued back in and the the filler pieces cut out.

Now I've gotta come up with some kind of solid last to put inside the boot so I can pound everything well while gluing.
I just hope pounding will be enough and I can get it done without a press.

Putting this project on hold for a bit, I ordered a pair of V hinged lasts online and can start back up again when they arrive.

I could only find a 5.5 which is kind of small but for a resole it shouldn't matter.
I can always build them up with epoxy putty if I really need to.

Looks like an exercise in futility. I would think that you could have found an appropriate use for the new boots rather than what you did. Nothing to loose? $100+

Looks like an exercise in futility. I would think that you could have found an appropriate use for the new boots rather than what you did. Nothing to loose? $100+
I say I found an appropriate use for these boots in knowledge and experience, when the project is all said and done I guarantee I will have learned something beneficial.
I have every other role filled in boots except a new pair for work.
I do not plan on giving up until I have a functional pair of boots on my feet, but regardless of the outcome I can say I attempted to resole a pair of boots myself at home.

I used to work at a shoe factory. Fun stuff when I was 18. Paid for a lot of my college costs back in the day.

Make sure the the leather where the sole attaches is very smooth before glueing and stitching on the new sole. For a number of years I had a preference for felt soled fishing waders. I tried to resole a pair I owned and the results were not great. The sole was always a bit loose after I was done.

Well when I eventually those lasts in they weren't going to work and I rerealized that without something solid inside the boot It would be hard to get a good bond between the sole and midsole that I could trust at work, so I tossed the boots in a closet and forgot about them.

Fast forward 2 years to today and I'm thinking about a chukka boot or something similar for home, a lighter weight / duty shop boot that's quicker to put on than an 8" and more appropriate in the summer.
I remembered I had these in the closet and decided to see what I can do with what I've got , and hopefully have something suitable for my needs when I'm done.

20220419_225532.jpg

I don't know when I'll get them done since I'm gonna be really busy the rest of the week and hand stitching a midsole to a welt takes a long time, but I'm gonna try and do what I can in whatever free time I have and hope to be done by the end of next week.

At this point after realizing I couldn't make a work boot out of these I do wish I had just left them and put 'em to use as is, but it's too late for that plus I'm still learning something and hopefully I can say I've successfully resoled a pair of boots myself.

Last edited:
I found time to " finish " the one I started on.
20220420_100238.jpg
20220420_115424.jpg

Right now I'm not sure if the bond of the outsole went any better than it looks, but once can get the other finished I'll test them out and figure out what I might have to do from there.

Even a poorly done Goodyear welted boot is gonna be better than a cheap not a real boot from Walmart.

I was going to give you a lot of credit just for trying, but then I saw your last post and see that you're doing it, so I'll say- Nice job! :thumbsup:

I hope they work out. But even if they don't, like I said, I give you a lot of credit just for trying.

We don't know what we can do until we try. And whether we succeed or not, every "try" is a learning experience.

I was going to give you a lot of credit just for trying, but then I saw your last post and see that you're doing it, so I'll say- Nice job! :thumbsup:

I hope they work out. But even if they don't, like I said, I give you a lot of credit just for trying.

We don't know what we can do until we try. And whether we succeed or not, every "try" is a learning experience.
I'm definitely learning.

I've been into watching boot resole videos on YouTube the past couple years, from Brian the Bootmaker, Trenton & Heath, and Bedos leatherwork, so I have a lot of the right ideas at least.

Of course experts always seem to make things look easier than they really are , so I have more of the ideas than the actual skill.

Back