Good axe under $75

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Aerosmith101, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    I'm looking for a decent axe up to or around $75 and need suggestions

Miller '72 likes this.
  2. junkenstien

junkenstien Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Ebay and the hardware store still have enough left for a steak dinner

3. Miller '72

Miller '72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Great question, and the bay is a good place to browse, see what's out there.

What would your primary use be?

Have you considered the weight of the axe and length of the handle?

Are you desiring a golden era North American axe?
    European?
    Modern axes can be found today, made of good quality.

All that said.

The axe i recommend you look for a 3 to 3 1/2lb axe on a 28-32" haft depending on your wing span and primary use.

If your looking for a camping or similar type companion, go smaller head weight...1 3/4lbs - 2 1/2lbs on nothing longer than 28".

Hope this helps narrow your search:thumbsup:

Fmont, crbnSteeladdict and A17 like this.
  4. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    All good advise so far.

If you want to buy off the shelf then have a look at Council tools. If you want something nicer find a vintage American axe with convex cheeks and little wear on the toe, then re-hang it yourself. It will be fun and you'll learn a skill you need anyway to care for your axe.

What will you use this axe for? That will help decide the weight and pattern.

tall_papa, A17, Fmont and 4 others like this.
  5. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    is this axe any good
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mann-Edge-...581764?hash=item42061fb104:g:51AAAOSwgWtdR3cM

6. crbnSteeladdict

crbnSteeladdict

Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    A17, Fmont and Miller '72 like this.
  7. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    Council tool has pretty good stuff. I also like the rinaldi axes offered by Baryonyx knife co. They're not polled and some people don't like them for that reason, but I prefer them from a weight to performance aspect. The slip-fit design is easier for me to maintain as I am apparently horrible at re-hafting a regular axe.

Getting an good head and putting a handle on it is always an option as well and I have a few I've done that with, with good results, once I get the wedges figured out (again, not great at it).

A17, Fmont and Miller '72 like this.
  8. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Are you ok with rehanging an older vintage head?

Miller '72 likes this.
  9. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    A17, Yankee Josh, Agent_H and 2 others like this.
  10. gben

gben

Nov 26, 2014
    Buy any old USA made axe you can find at the nearest yard, garage or estate-sale. They are usually $2-$5, the higher price range being for those with a good usable handle. don't worry about the brand because they are all good enough for anyone or anything.