Good day at the lake...

In my 50 years I have fished just about all the lakes in Central Oregon. There are still a few small lakes off the beaten path, that I haven't visited yet though.
Today we went to one of those lakes. It's about 60 miles from my house It is a very small lake, but I was truly impressed. The camp grounds, and facilities are immaculate. There are only 30 camp sites, but each one is on the edge of the lake, so if you are camped there, you just walk about 50 yards from camp to fish. Boats are allowed, but no motors, which makes the lake very peaceful. I can't believe I actually forgot to take pictures of the lake :eek:

I have been trout fishing since I was very young, but never cared to eat them, so I would always release them. I decided I wanted to catch some and smoke them. I talked to a guy that was the same way as I am, and he had recently tried smoking them, and said they came out really good.
So I decided we would keep some, and give it a try...

We only fished for about 4 1/2 hours, but here are the ones we got. Between all of us, we probably lost close to 14-16 fish, but that was fine. There are more than enough to smoke. I'm keeping the two biggest fish, one that is about 14 1/2 inches and another that is just under 17 inches, and am going to try bbqing them. Also something I have never tried with trout

fishin009.jpg

fishin010.jpg

ok, if you're going to throw them on the grill, instead try this for one:
scale, gut and gill one - leave the head on!
slice up some onion and toss it inside, with a few pats of butter, salt & pepper, and other seasonings to taste
seal it all up in foil and throw it in the coals, I like 4 mins on a side, but basically until it's no longer translucent and flakes easily with a fork

I've done all kinds of fish and people that start out that day with "I don't eat fish" end it with "Is there any of that left?"

ok, if you're going to throw them on the grill, instead try this for one:
scale, gut and gill one - leave the head on!
slice up some onion and toss it inside, with a few pats of butter, salt & pepper, and other seasonings to taste
seal it all up in foil and throw it in the coals, I like 4 mins on a side, but basically until it's no longer translucent and flakes easily with a fork

I've done all kinds of fish and people that start out that day with "I don't eat fish" end it with "Is there any of that left?"

Thanks. I like fish, just never cared for trout. I think most of the problem stemmed from the "Planter trout ". In the old days, we would still catch Native trout, and they were a completely different (better ) fish.

I know people who have tried them the way you mentioned, and like it. I will have to try it. There is no shortage of trout here, and I've gotten to th epoint where I like to experiment.

Back