Good deal on a DC motor

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

ilmarinen - MODERATOR
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
These treadmill motors aren't heavy duty enough for running much equipment.They are intermittent duty cycle.They also are not sealed enough to run around metal/wood dust environments.

bladsmth said:
These treadmill motors aren't heavy duty enough for running much equipment.They are intermittent duty cycle.They also are not sealed enough to run around metal/wood dust environments.
You can always seal it the way Dan does with his panty hose. :D

My problem with them is the "EXTREMELY" liberal HP rating.

If you set one of those next to a regular Leeson, or Grainger DC, TEFC 2HP, or even a 1HP, the treadmill motor would be dwarfed.

Most air compressors for the retail market are rated in the same liberal way.:confused:
Bogus ratings, IMO. :)

Edited to add; With that said, there are some people on this forum that have used them for belt grinders. Maybe they can give you some more insight.

I have one for a finish grinder Mike and your right....low duty cycle, low HP and unsealed. That said, seal it, use it for finish work and it should be fine. I wouldn't put it on my only grinder and certainly not on a hogger.

fitzo

Gold Member
Bowie's got one hooked to a bandsaw. Works well for that application for him.

Sando

Knife Maker
I'm coming up to the 2 year mark on my 2hp treadmill motor. Heck I don't even have the dust covers on.

The only time I can slow it down is at the slowest speeds and lots of pressure.

Shrug - don't see a reason to change to a higher priced one.

Steve

I have one on my disc grinder and it works just fine. I can dog it easily enough but never killed it. I built a shroud around it and taped over the gaping holes in its sides and it hasn't failed yet... Certainly was worth the money.

Sando

Knife Maker
Dave buddy,

I added a fan on mine. Sucks air thru the motor dust and all.

When it dies I'll be the first to post it.

Steve

PS I'm sure envious of that thing you built!

Hey Steve, you can build one too! I'm sure you have as much crap laying around your shop as I do. :D

Mine came with a fan on the end of it, which is kinda what made me want to build up around it and tape the biggest holes over. I'll let you know when mine dies too. I've been thinking I ought to just buy a couple spare motors, as the rest of the thing was built with that particular motor in mind...