Good first knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Patrick Neagle, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Yeah, you're on the right track for sure, RAT 2 in D2 is going to be hard to beat under $50.

Also, Leek or Delica.

2. dug24

dug24

Jan 21, 2014
    Knifeworks has Rat 2 D2 w/carbon fiber scales for $43. That's what I'd get.

3. emjay4248

emjay4248 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 8, 2016
    The good old standby that got lost in the fores2t, the Kershaw Blur. A fantastic knife for the money.

DocJD likes this.
  4. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    +1 on the Rat 2 in D2. I have both the Rat 1 and 2 in D2, they are fantastic quality knives at the $30 to $40 price point.

5. TrojanSteel

TrojanSteel

Jul 22, 2013
    Budget ?

6. Cvrobinson

Cvrobinson Going to hell, I’ll be back, anyone need anything Platinum Member

Dec 19, 2017
    I remember my first BUCK, it was in the 70's. I've forgotten most of the others but I remember that buck.

panoz77 likes this.
  7. panoz77

panoz77

Feb 3, 2007
    OP said under $50

8. BBuser

BBuser

Sep 4, 2016
    A Buck canoe or a SAK like the Tinker come to mind. If it's a first knife for a young person flippers and lock blades not needed. It depends also on legalities where you (he) live.

I've found when you gift a higher end knife the recipient doesn't understand it enough to appreciate it.

9. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb

Jun 6, 2017
    I am not too sold on D2 for a first time knife I would look at some other options before D2 for steel.

I did find this interesting little set decent blade and steel particularly if the RC is to be believed

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  10. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
  11. marcinek

marcinek Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2007
    While that is annoying, I don't think it is the "bad safety habit" @Bill1170 mentioned.

The bad safety habit with locking knives is assuming locks always lock, and then doing things like stabbing, etc, having the locking folder close, and then cutting oneself down to the finger bone.

A slipjoint is a good starter because it teaches one how to cut safely without a lock...and if you can cut safely without a lock, you can cut safely with a lock.

Vice versa doesn't work.

12. User27

User27

Apr 23, 2017
    A Schrade Sharpfinger? , almost anything above the quality of a z-hunter makes for a good first knife , and if they don't know how to use a knife teach them how to use one properly

13. TYPE-R

TYPE-R

Apr 27, 2017
    Depending on what size you're looking for and what he'll be using it for, a Buck 110 or a Victoronix Cadet are good choices for a first knife.
    Neither will break the bank and both will last a long time.

14. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    Tenacious less than $50 couple of different styles and easy to sharpen stainless

15. mfm22

mfm22 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 9, 2010
    depends on his needs - office / school a SAK may be best
    field work / warehouse / truck etc - Tenacious is a great value as is the other mentioned Ontario rat
    Kershaw leek is also a neat knife for starters

16. Bill1170

Bill1170 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Exactly what I meant. Thank you, Marcinek.

17. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    What is your cousins age?
    Like many here, I was carrying a pocket knife at 8 yrs old; but I dont want to make assumptions.
    For the same reason, is the intended recipient male or female?

18. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Is he/she a tinkerer/gadget kind of person? They might get more use out of a SAK (Swiss Army Knife) or MT (multi-tool) instead of a knife. If that is the case, you will need to go the Victorinox website and look thru the options of tool combinations that best suit their need. Plenty of choices under $50. You have a few options for MTs under $50 as well. I have the Leatherman Wingman and I'd recommend it for $35-40.

If you decide on a knife, I'd vote Rat 1 in D2.

19. mnblade

mnblade

Feb 7, 2000
    I wouldn't hasten to offer a suggestion, knowing nothing at all about him. Perhaps tell us his age, his hobbies, what sort of work he does, where he lives (big city, country, suburbs?), and so forth.

20. Finan47

Finan47

Apr 18, 2017
    I like the folders by designer Jesper Voxnaes. His knives are made by several companies at a good range of prices.