Good fixed blade to try custom scales

Just wondering what fixed blade would work well to learn/experiment with custom scales. I actually don't own anything with removable scales, wondering what might work well. I would prefer something more budget oriented so I don't feel bad if I end up marring the steel while working the scales while figuring out how to make them well. Thanks for any advice .

Kabar Becker BK16
(Those scales would fit the 15, 16, and 17)

If you want something larger, grab the least expensive full sized Becker you can find - the handles will be interchangeable on all of the full-sized Beckers.

Woodcraft (woodworking store) sells several different blades without scales. I’d suggest taking a look at what they have to see if they have anything to your liking. I believe they may even have them on sale as we speak.

EDIT: Yes, I just double checked. They all appear to be 50% off right now, several blade shapes and sizes.

Cold Steel has several knives with removable scales or replaceable rubber scales.

Check out the knifemaker's sales threads. I've scored a couple of nice blades. I chose a paracord wrap , but custom scales would be nicer.

Most knifemaking supply houses sell pre-made blades.

Hard to argue with the prices on woodcraft. The BK16 would be nice as I would have a scale to trace for a pattern. Thanks for all the advice, now I just need to decide which way to go.

Spyderco Mule series. You have your choice of many steels and pre-made custom scales for these can be found at Halpern Titanium. or you can make your own from a huge selection of stabilized woods made solely for knife scales or handles.

Simple-Becker
Midrange- grohmann knife kits
looking to make to sell- spyderco mule,

otherwise, I'd also go to any thrift shops, buy any wood handled, pinned knives you can, like old ontario and the like, drill them out and go nuts! having a knife that you can decide to epoxy would be a good learning experience as well.

I may have gone a little nuts. I picked up a used esee candiru, because I will never be able to stop buying pocket sized fixed blades no matter how much I try, a used esee 3 (still waiting on it), and I found a Condor Bushcraft blade blank to go to town on. I also took the advice of gadget geek and went to all the little hole in the wall thrift stores, and found some no name ragged wood handled knives I'm going to strip the splintered handles off of so I can really screw it up if I need to, going to use these to continue practicing on the paper wheels I picked up a while ago as well. Heading to the lumber yard this weekend to check out what I can find for handle material.

I am going to run up to a supply house in Oklahoma, about an hour and a half from me, and pick up a kit, I want to learn as well.

Back