1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Good knife for hunting?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by JDX, Nov 3, 2017.

1. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    For hunting I would definately prefer a fixed blade so much easier to clean up and stout. In the price ranges I've seen mention ... the Buck Vanguard is hard to beat ... it can be had in 440 inexpensive or you could get a Cabelas Alaskan Series in S30V if you want a little step up in steel ... both stainless steels ... and buck does a nice job on 440 ... its easy to touch up and I have field dressed a couple deer without needing any touch ups ... can get it with wood grip or a rubber if you want a gripper handle.

But it's a well designed drop point and I still use mine often even owning alot of higher end hunting knives ... because it just works so well.

2. Dan of Bazz Clazz

Dan of Bazz Clazz Gold Member Gold Member

May 10, 2017
    I agree rimfire. The bigger the knife, the less useful it becomes for hunting. A lot of my favorite hunting knives are the "bird & trout" variety. If I were to focus on the top 2 criteria for a hunting knife, they would be Physical size/shape, and edge retention. I don't know what it is about tallow on deer, but that stuff will dull a knife faster than trying to cut concrete.

3. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    I don't own a Spyderco yet, but pretty sure my first one will be the Sprig. Another good knife for hunting.

[​IMG]

4. Ruzster

Ruzster

May 7, 2001
    Not so easy to come by these days but, over the years, I find my consistent go-to hunting knives are a Spyderco Chinook 1 and Howling Rat gen 1. Chinook is a superb skinner and the rat great for quartering, deboning, etc. Old habits, I guess.

5. DocT

DocT

Mar 25, 2012
  6. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Sharpfinger from Schrade USA.... USA mind you.

My favorite of all time, and I've used cheap, spendy, custom, factory, San Mai, Damascus... dang near everything.

Try a Cold Steel Pendleton Mini Hunter or a Bucklite Max 673 in your price range as well.

Frotier76 likes this.
  7. Frisky

Frisky

Dec 1, 2010
    I just skinned and butchered another deer on October 19th. I try a lot of different knives, just because I have a lot of them. In a fixed blade, the Vanguard is excellent. The Marttiini Condor series, with rubber handles are better. They cost around $25 and out-cut Bucks and Moras. In a folder, I use a Buck 110 and also a Victorinox Hunter XT. Both are in your price range.

Joe

filedog likes this.
  8. GIRLYmann

GIRLYmann

Nov 7, 2005
    First rule is not to go over the top
    Whist choosing a knife for a person
    who is a non-knife guy.
    He may or may not like or appreciate your gift.
    He has near specified the blade for his needs.
    The grohmann #1
    Sometimes a finger guard is necessary at times you're gonna wish it wasn't.
    Strange looking but it works well.

[​IMG]
    Best of luck with the hunt!

9. JBradley500

JBradley500

Dec 23, 2015
    Buck 103.

10. maximus83

maximus83

Nov 7, 2011
    +1 with the folks who've said for hunting, a fixed blade. You do not want to have to disassemble your folder to thoroughly clean it every time after you process an animal with it.

+1 with the Buck Selkirk fixed blade recommendations (the large or the small size would work). I have the large, it has a fantastic factory edge, grips, sheath, flat grind blade profile, good belly for processing game. Got mine for $46. This is a phenomenal knife at this price point. I'm basically replacing all my trunk knives with it, and it'll also be my go-to hunting knife since it has more belly than my Bradford Guardian 4.

ETA: One more thing. I like this knife design so much, I wish Buck would offer a US-made version in a higher end steel like S30v, with the BOS heat treat. Offer this knife, with that steel, for around $65 to $70, that would be a fantastic all purpose field and hunting blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  11. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    That Pendleton is the only Cold Steel I was interested in when I went to one of their parking lot sales.

12. Dan of Bazz Clazz

May 10, 2017
    That Grohmann #1 is going to find its way into my collection one day. Just want to find a dealer who sells them with the new style sheath. Seems everyone stocks them in that loose loop configuration.

GIRLYmann likes this.