Good thrower for a beginner

I posted this in another place until I found out there was a knife throwing forum. What is a good knife thats not all that expensive that I can learn on? Any directios would be appreciated.

Thanks

bandit

Hi Bandityo!

I think that you should start throwing with
cheap, small, guardless throwing knife.
You first step should be direct throw (with no rotation) at small distance. Overhand throwing is easy to learn. Then you should
increase disance and put some rotations.

ONLY way to learn knfe throwing is practice and practice. Throwing knife is not so effective in combat as in films.
Bye.
Sorry for my language-mistakes.

------------------

Stick to the tried and true formula:

12 to 16 inches in length
1 once of weight per inch of length.

handles or no handles doesn't really matter.
price does not really matter if you stay with the length/weight ratios.

If you get a cheapie that nicks or bends just file out the nicks and stomp out the bend with a good placed foot.

Practice is the key and the truth to this sport. Take 5 normal steps from the target, turn around and start throwing from there. Adjust as needed (probably + or - 2 feet). BE CONSISTENT!!! Don't worry about accuracy until you can stick it consistently.

Have fun.

------------------
Webmaster
The Sticking Point
www.commonlogic.com/knife

Thanks for the help guys. Ive already tried with pretty good luck. Another question though...do you throw the knife very hard, or just enough for it to slide out of your hand and start rotations? Or do you want it to stick pretty hard when it hits the board.

thanks

bandit

Generally, the lighter the knife the harder you must throw. This is why most serious competing throwers will go with a heavier knife. The mass (weight) of a heavier knife will do most of the work of driving it in the target.

You must throw hard enough to stick the knife. Additional throwing speed (velocity) is purely an individual comfort issue. I am a bad example as I throw very hard... observed around 45 mph with a stopwatch at 35 feet. Sure this will stick a 14 inch 3/8 thick, 15 once knife 2-4 inches in a pine end grain target but I do not suggest this brutal type of throwing. How do you know if you are a light, medium or strong thrower? You will know a strong thrower when you see one throw. Just look for 20 foot bounces, targets knocked down and the guy using a tractor and chain to remove his knives from the target.

Most people have very good success with the heavier knives throwing around 30-35 mph.

------------------
Webmaster
The Sticking Point
www.commonlogic.com/knife

Darn Tim
I'm not sure if I want you to come by my house now
smile.gif
.I better get some fuel for the tractor because I've seen you throw.

Bobby Branton

------------------
AKTI member #1000
President South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
President American Knife Throwers Alliance

http://www.brantonknives.com

[This message has been edited by Knifeslinger (edited 06-13-2000).]

Hi.

I NEVER throw my knife HARD.
When you throw very hard you loose horizontal and vertical precision.
Only one reason to throw hard is direct throw overhand (max distance 1.5 m).

Bye. Greetings from Poland.

------------------

Back