Good trip with my daughter

My ten year old daughter and I had a great trip bivvying for two nights in the Welsh Borders [UK]. We fitted in some kayaking on the River Wye, and she really came into her own, without two older brothers to crowd her out .

First, for all other knife geeks, here was [almost] the array:

Sa7yK7G.jpg

Hultafors Hatchet, Mark Hill Kephart and Al Mar SERE 2000 were mine; Hultafors Hatchet, Mark Hill Kephart and the Opinel* were hers. The Farmer and the Juha Perttula Veistopuukko [not pictured] were also communal. She loves that Scandi whittler...

Anyway, as well as getting a first taste of river kayaking, she made a fire from a pile of logs, using the hatchet, kephart, quick and dirty tinder with cotton wool and Vaseline, and bark for the fire bed on wet ground. She got it started in the rain and it burned like a dream. She used a flint and steel to ignite the tinder: not a great feat, perhaps, but very satisfying for a ten year old.

5MYCF6A.jpg

Looking smug having got the hang of using the hatchet. ;)

wqiReqd.jpg

Tapping small kindling into pencils and matchsticks.

AYYqsZt.jpg

And it’s done. Breathe out... :)

We made a pot hook, note the billy can cooking stew by the fire, and she carved some beautiful notched tent pegs. All in all a very good trip, and it was a real pleasure to see my daughter accomplish so much, she definitely got a lot out of it. Good times.

Apologies for the poor quality photos, my phone camera lens is knackered..!

@pinnah take note! She does love Opinel. ;)

Last edited:
Nice trip. Love pics of people taking out their kids. Thanks for sharing.

...still dunno if I’m ready for my daughter to try out the axe. She’s been asking a couple of times already. You are a braver man than I. :D

Looks like a great outing! I miss having the kids at home, they are all grown up now. My sons did things like this with me, but my daughters, sadly, did not have much interest in it.

I'd love to have done this kind of thing when I was that age. Good on you for giving her this kind of experience. :thumbsup:

Looks like an awesome trip! She seems to have done great, and congrats to you for doing this with her. Priceless memories for sure.

Priceless time with her, and really cool that she likes it too. Thanks for sharing.

Good on you for teaching her things and being a good dad. Hopefully little trips like that will spark a lifetime of outdoors adventure for her.

Great! Seems like you both just had a blast.

My 5 year old daugther, who is not unfamiliar with camping and outdoors at all, has asked me if we could go out and sleep in a tent! I am sooooooooooooooooooo proud!

Mikel

My ten year old daughter and I had a great trip bivvying for two nights in the Welsh Borders [UK].
@pinnah take note! She does love Opinel. ;)

This is awesome man!! I love seeing posts like this. My youngest turns 14 in 4 days so she's more of a teenager and less of a daddy's girl these days. I miss these types of adventures with her, I need to take her camping again before this summer is over, we've only been once so far.

Back