Good use for a junk drill press.

If you find a drill press with a shot motor thats cheap, grab it. They're great for tapping stuff. Just take the return spring and drive pulley off the spindle and you're ready to tap.
I broke the spring in my press the other day and while I'm waiting on a new one to get here I had some tapping to do and I needed to get the threading straight so I thought I'd try the drill press. It worked great. I'm gonna keep my eyes open for a junker now!

Great tip! not sure how I'll sneak that one past the SWMBO, but I'll give it a shot...:D

I got the opposite problem, my drill table broke. Now I have a really heavy, awkward hand drill.

Michael, I read a post where I think it was Bruce that does that very thing. It sound pretty foolproof. Or,how about just tossing a $2 yardsale motor on it, and put it to work again.

My motor works just fine. I just don't have anything to press against. :grumpy: :)

Originally posted by John Andrews
Michael, I read a post where I think it was Bruce that does that very thing. It sound pretty foolproof. Or,how about just tossing a $2 yardsale motor on it, and put it to work again.

yeah it was here
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290413&perpage=20&pagenumber=1

Originally posted by Bruce Bump
Dont laugh but I dedicated one of the $39.00 drill presses with the motor removed and the return spring backed off. I can use the handle to start the tap while turning the pulley by hand. It has enough leverage and feel to turn it back and forth when it binds. The alignment is straight so there are no wobble problems. Didnt want to spend the bucks for a threading machine or a tapping head.

Back