Off Topic Goodbye PORK Pie HAT!?!?

Father & Son Traditional Sharpening

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I will make this brief for those of you who were baited into opening this thread based on the click bait in the title... :p :D

I have decided that my time is better spent away from this sub-forum and more importantly the exchange and all the HOG enablers that lurk here. I've spent FAR too much lately, WAAAY more than I could have ever imagined just by becoming an active member here again... :eek::eek:

I am man enough to admit when things have gotten out of hand & the prospect of showing restraint seems rocky. So, I would like to say GOODBYE to all here & with 'No Regrets' I'll be hanging up my PORK pie hat ... :)

I'll leave you all with this wonderful piece by Charles Mingus - "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat" .... which was dedicated to the late Lester Young (RIP, what a talent), who wore a pork pie hat... ;) :cool:

P.S. For those of you who don't speak jazz, but can understand Rock & Roll ... the IMMENSELY talented Jeff Beck has translated this over for ya'll... ;) ;)

Last edited:
hmmm, I wonder if it will be like a Utah winter.....................OK I'm done.....................and another thing...............now I am done.....................well one more thing...........OK now I am really done.............................well I could not leave without.........................but now I am absolutely done, finished, finito, ............................ OK OK OK, I know I said I was done but...........................

Just kidding, good luck in your new adventures :)

What about the Mega Mandu and the Mini Tali Whacker or the Scrap Raider!!?

Enjoy the time

Depending on how things go I may have to "reinvent myself" to create a new income stream...

When I think of a pork pie hat I can't help but think of Robert Oppenheimer, head of the Manhattan Project.:D

If you really are leaving I wish you well, and hope that you will at least return on occasion.;):thumbsup:

Certainly backing off the forums can help break a binge buying streak—I’ve experienced that. OTOH, it’s nice to know a place “where everybody knows your name” is just a click away—especially these days. And as you can see from the responses here, you will be missed. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best as you sort it out.

Last edited:
Best of luck to you. I took a few year break from forums in general, not just this one. Stop in and lurk once in a while, but you’ll find other ways to fill your time.

I've done a bit of knife "backing off" my self over the years.

In fact....I am currently Busseless! But I still like to drop in and oogle. I still watch the exchange...and new offerings constantly.

Now....the reason for my current terrible state of being sans Busse/Swamprat/Scrapyard is terrible but common (kids...braces for both....house expensed...student loans....etc, etc).....but I am able to get through it by carying and fondling custom knives...

Once I sold a one off, irreplaceable custom slipjoint because I was feeling the pressure of financial responsibility (closed on first home, right before Christmas... I I the knife for $800.....then watched it change hands several times and climb to $2,000+... I really regret that one)....

The second reason for being Busseless is I finally bit the bullet and purchased a knife grinder. (A basic single speed....which I already want to upgrade!)

It is easier to control the buying when I pretend I might be able to make my self a knife......or tmwhen I look at additional equipment I need.

But every new release seems like it is designed to break my willpower....or every good deal on the exchange...so I understand.

After blowing littleresingirl's college fund on INFI and maxxing the CC, I came to my senses that one did not have to buy every possible blade to validate one's standing in this community. <some exaggeration, some regrets>

I sold off some, and stopped buying for a good while. Still hanging out throughout.

Started limited buying again, user grade with no thought of resale, no Custom Shop. Have passed on many offerings. It works for me.

But I continue to check in ~daily because I do enjoy the community, in all the various ways, and contribute when it might be helpful. Or snarky!

I do miss the various FtF opportunities that we used to have to put screen names to real people. When this current thing passes, I just might get off my ass and organize another NeOhio Busse GTG; it's been too long.

Hey, Cliff/Clint, you still out there? ;)

Taking a break from forums and FB groups works for any hobby. You're constantly bombarded with pics of new knives that you want. And I tend to go all out when entering a new hobby lol. I recently got back into collecting knives after a 5+ year hiatus. I used that time to use the knives I had and beat the crap out of them instead of having pocket jewelry. Now I can justify getting new stuff. Feels good, man.

Certainly backing off the forums can help break a binge buying streak—I’ve experienced that. OTOH, it’s nice to know a place “where everybody knows your name” is just a click away—especially these days. And as you can see from the responses here, you will be missed. Whatever you decide, I wish you the best as you sort it out.

This is a large part of it, I feel a new sense of control just having dialed it back for the last week or whatever it's been. I came to the conclusion that all of life needs to remain in balance, time away always seems to help.

Breaks are ok. I took a good amount of time off.

You'll be back. Let us know when were right.

Take care.

You were right, I will admit it was difficult not looking at the forum/exchange and caved several times since posting last. I will likely check in from time to time, but still have no plans to become a fixture here anytime soon.

I'm only gonna buy one more....

THAT, good sir is simply preposterous.... :p

I have determined that trading may be OK, especially if it ends up with a bit of cash in my pocket trading down in values... but even this I fear may be a slippery slope. Hence, the seemingly outrageous post that I am not going to hang around here moving forward. I have to think more on this, as I do really enjoy the people here and the camaraderie.... I am not ready to give this up entirely yet but need to learn how to hang around here without breaking out the credit cards for stuff I really don't need.

Awwww really? Just before the release of the Choiless Infimandu???

Maybe just check in every couple weeks;)

That is indeed something that would indeed force my hand, I am still on the email list from Busse so I'll know if this happens... but I am NOT holding my breath for this release.

hmmm, I wonder if it will be like a Utah winter.....................OK I'm done.....................and another thing...............now I am done.....................well one more thing...........OK now I am really done.............................well I could not leave without.........................but now I am absolutely done, finished, finito, ............................ OK OK OK, I know I said I was done but...........................

Just kidding, good luck in your new adventures :)

Actually, that about describes my last few months which led me to here... sadly!

Thank you all for chiming in on this thread, it really is MUCH appreciated! Signing off, AGAIN... :rolleyes:

Back