Gossman PSK Sr goes to the Amazon

I promised Scott to put up some pictures of the PSK Sr he made for me for this years ESEE Jungle survival course.

It was in CPM154 with honey micarta scales which Scott contoured for me. It performed superbly; easy to sharpen, resisted the rust and threw awesome sparks (good enough to let the British win the Fire contest!;))

Here's some pic's (not as good as Reuben's though!)

The knife:

amazon2012239.jpg

Skinning Red Tailed Boa:

amazon2012270.jpg

Butchering Red Tailed Boa:

amazon2012277.jpg

Throwing sparks:

amazon2012204.jpg

Batoning:

amazon2012091.jpg

Thanks for making such excellent users Scott, I'm planning for this knife to go on some further adventures with me over the next few years.

Any questions, please let me know!

atvb, John

Last edited:
That's awesome, thanks for posting. So what is your impression of CPM 154 compared to carbon steels you've used?
Scott

Hi Scott,

I'm still getting used to convex as I've used Scandi's for most things, CPM154 certainly takes more effort to sharpen, but it does hold an edge and throws good sparks.

After the course the PSK had two of the smallest, faintest, surface rust spots (I doubt most non knife people would have even noticed!), but I rubbed them with steel wool and Ballistol and they've completely vanished. Compared to the machete which now has a lovely patina all over it.

I'm very happy with the steel and I'm sure as I get more used to the convex and the steel itself, sharpening will become much easier.

Once again, thanks for the work you do!

atvb. John

John, doesn't surprise me about possible rust in that extremely wet enviroment you were in even with stainless. Thanks for the feedback.
Scott

Absolutely, I was very pleased with the way it held up, I was expecting it too have been worse.

pilgrimuk,
Thanks for the pictures. Scott makes a great blade. I would love to see a picture of the entire knife. I'm interested in seeing the handle especially.

pilgrimuk,
Thanks for the pictures. Scott makes a great blade. I would love to see a picture of the entire knife. I'm interested in seeing the handle especially.

Here you go:

jwpsk1.jpg

Let me know if you want any more pics/different angle etc...

Last edited:
Back