Got a DE safety razor, now what?

Welp, I did it again... different surplus store, even better deal.
Got the Jagger in lilac for $2(!!!) for the wife, Cremo brush for $8 and shave soap for $6.
If the wife doesn't like the blade, then I have a travel razor. The lilac handle is actually grippier than mine.

rOnrTVc.jpg

Update: a proper brush and soap did work quite well. Had a much better shave than the first go around.

Three day stubble handled well, brush is definitely quality, and that French shave soap is fantastic.

Now, the wife is going to brave the DE Jagger next!

My wife uses an adjustable, doesn't seem to worry her a bit. Originally it was to save a buck, but she can buy whatever she wants now and it works just fine.

Nice score on the DE and brush.

There is a great thread on a DE Shave Site about keeping your gear fresh and clean with annual and bi annual maintenance. Need to find it although not sure I can link it anyway.

Involves shampooing your badger brush to remove residue. I also throw my DE Razor in the ultrasonic cleaner and hit it with toothpaste on an electric toothbrush (old brush I'm going to toss anyway). Shave bowl in the dishwasher or ultrasonic cleaner as well.

Coyja, have you been enjoying shaving with your new items? DM
I've been enjoying it, though I don't have as much time in the morning to spend on a proper DE shave as I'd like right now.
I'm commenting 90min (one way) to a new job for a couple months before we move, so its a little hectic.

My wife, however, LOVES her new DE razor, which is something I might not have expected, lol, but I'm glad she's enjoying it.

Good luck on the new job. A 90 min. commute is a good one. Maybe get books on tape and listen to them. I hope you don't have to travel
in mountain areas. I do shave at night, sometimes, you might try it. DM

Last edited:
Go and get the 34C HD Merkur. I own a bunch over a lifetime of shaving with DE razors, including the Slim, Fatboy, and assorted Slants; the 34C is always there waiting it's turn.

Next step is you upgrade to a straight edge :D

Just make sure you buy a decent one. It wasn’t the cheapest, but I love my Solingen.

I shave with Merkur 34c for past 10 years,its excellent shave,better than any disposables,when you get the hang of technique,use astra platinum that suit me the best out of all i tried.Derbys are good,Feathers i do not like,too sharp and rough.I use cheap straight razor too that uses single edge derby blades and shave with it too,excellent shave,but still 34c with astra does best job ever.When i dont shave for couple weeks then straight razor -shavette is best,takes everything in just one pass.

Ps.i have couple straight razors,Dovo and Zwilling,theyre good but for me i got too tired of stroping and sharpening them,with shavette that i got for 10dollars together with 100derby blades its heck out of deal and it gives me same if not even better shave than straight razors ive used.When it gets dull i just change blade,ok its easier to nick yourself with shavette i think,but anter you get technique down its no probl.I sugest you try both.Still 34c for me is the best.

as you get started I recommend getting a block of allum, it will help stop the bleeding when you cut your self. I like the yellow label bic blades but I did not find them sufficiently better than the astra platinum to be worth the price. you are on the right path of getting the sample pack to see what you like. I have been saving my old blades to make a piece of pattern welded steel out of.

Back