Got another video thread, Wenger knives.

So going on youtube again I found this video:
How does Wenger compete with Victorinox? I don't buy these specifically because they polish/chrome the blade and that can get ruined so fast, but I do often times get them as gifts for non-knife people. Thing is I never knew Victorinox had a major competitor because Vic has all the market in the US. Do any of you guys have both and notice action better on one or the other? No other knife company I know has a competitor that makes basically the same exact thing.

I often think of Victorinox and Wenger as twin sisters. They look kinda identical to bystander, but once you get to know them, they are quite different person.

Victorinox is like the bigger sister with a conservative personality, and everything she does is well calculated and 'main stream'. Wenger, on the other hand, is more adventurous and creative, though her life is short lived, many will remember her being the 'fun' sister.

What a shame. It's just like watches, the big boys don't let anyone compete in Switzerland. How are they in comparison then?

Some of the more popular Wenger products are continued as 'Delemont' collection, Wenger quality is generally on par with Victorinox, maybe just ever so slightly less. If you are looking for a SAK which has a lock blade in 85-91mm(~3.5" body length), Delemont does offer them.

i could be wrong,
but i m guessing thst
the differences probably lie
in the psyche of its peoples.
victorinox (german speaking swiss)
- reliable mechanical efficiency.
wenger (french speaking swiss)
- flair for unique styling.

I heard that Wenger was going belly up, and Victorinox bought it to prevent a “Chinese?” takeover.

Wenger could put part of the blame on their lack of acknowledgement in the USA on themselves. Way back in 1995 I did an article on Victorinox and had also communicated with Wenger USA about the article. I heard nothing back from Wenger, BUT after he article was published did receive a letter from Wenger. It start off "If you think there is only one company making SAK's you are wrong." Several years later I communicate with the Wenger folks about their new Ranger models, got several promises, but no action from them. I started carrying a Victorinox SAK in mid 1971 in Vietnam, after seeing them being carried by Recon Teams from CCC (SOG) launching out of our camp at Plei Dkereng. I liked the can opener on the Victorinox better than the Wenger, bought my first one from Corrado cutlery, and have hade a Victorinox ever since. John

I never knew the German/French distinction. Veeerrrryyy interesting.
Yeah and the girls too I'm sure :)
i could be wrong,
but i m guessing thst
the differences probably lie
in the psyche of its peoples.
victorinox (german speaking swiss)
- reliable mechanical efficiency.
wenger (french speaking swiss)
- flair for unique styling.
This is what got me interested, their scales seemed contoured and neater to look at.

ahh, the "evo series" scales?
show_image.php

https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-browse_image.php?imageId=3926&highlight=evo
yes, descended from an old project...
so when porsche (being german)
wanted a swiss knife with swag
they naturally went to wenger :)
https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wenger+Porsche+Design+Series

For me Victorinox was always THE SAK, Wenger was THE OTHER ONE.

Don’t know why I feel that way? But it certainly seems Wenger was the underdog.

So going on youtube again I found this video:
How does Wenger compete with Victorinox? I don't buy these specifically because they polish/chrome the blade and that can get ruined so fast, but I do often times get them as gifts for non-knife people. Thing is I never knew Victorinox had a major competitor because Vic has all the market in the US. Do any of you guys have both and notice action better on one or the other? No other knife company I know has a competitor that makes basically the same exact thing.
Well, there's your problem: the YouTubes. They haven't been competitive for many years.

For me, victorinox is what I know, what I grew up with. They've never left me wanting so why look elsewhere?

My first SAKs were Wenger back in the mid 80’s. A local sporting goods store had a display, so that’s what I bought. They are fine, but when I mail ordered my first Vic, the differences were apparent. The Vic was more refined and the walk and talk was amazing compared to my two Wengers. Wenger’s always seemed a bit stiff. Wenger always had interesting tool design compared to Vic, but I quickly became a loyal Victorinox customer.

Well, there's your problem: the YouTubes.
My friend are you thinking that I use youtube celebs to form my opinion about knives? Sorry if my post made you think that since I linked youtube but I assure you that is not the case.

I think he was referring to the outdated video. Giving you a false idea of their competition. Not your tastes in knives. At least that was how I took it.

Im glad you posted the video. Fun to compare the two brands. It’s a lesson on good marketing making a brand successful. Wenger quality wise was no better or worse than Victorinox, but was left behind. I wonder if Victorinox never came to the American market if Camillus would still be in business?

My friend are you thinking that I use youtube celebs to form my opinion about knives? Sorry if my post made you think that since I linked youtube but I assure you that is not the case.
Hmm....

Well, your posts do make it seem that way. Your last thread as well. Remember that one about condor? And the thread before that you referenced a video in the OP.

Look at the title of this thread. Makes it seem like you bring us your take on videos. Then, what you have to say is common knife knowledge: "who is this Wenger?" and "what's the deal with condor?".

Don't take offense, none is meant. I enjoy watching YouTube vids on knives as well. That said, I don't use them as a basis for my information. Spend some more time perusing the forum and you won't need YouTube to inform you. Rather, it's a nice visual aid.

Condor is well known here and talked about a ton. What Wenger is and was is also well known. Find something cool on the YouTubes? Look it up here. The topic most likely has been covered. Still have questions? Ask away. The wealth of knowledge here far out classes anything YouTube can provide.

Back