Got around to Klein & Logan (Verona) sledge....

I've been sitting on this project for a few months... dropped in to Lowe's and pulled
the pick of the litter on sledge handles....not perfect but time to get it done. ($9.00). The
handle is a "Truper" from Mexico with American Hickory. (the same folks that bought out
Collins in the early 2000's). I removed all the stickers (see photos for worrisome California
legalese). Sanded coarse/medium/fine. Nice fit off the rack. Coated with BLO/Tung oil. Reasonably
good hang. Tight.

What I learned.... just for experience I thought I'd sharpen the metal wedge before application,
as this one seemed especially "blunt" ...seemed to make the insertion easier without cracking the
handle (which is usual for me !). I may make this routine.... your mileage may vary.

Looks and feels o.k..... but, haven't whacked anything hard yet. :cool:

Charles
https://imgur.com/a/29T3FVv

I recently realized I need a sledgehammer. So I am now on the hunt for one. (Shouldn't be too difficult to find one)
As far as your handle. Here in Washington state our hardware stores are carrying "Vulcan" brand replacement handles. And just like yours , American hickory made in Mexico. I'm doing my best to keep buying American made. But to be honest House Handles and Link have let me down.
I look forward to watching your progress.

JB...my thoughts exactly. :rolleyes:

Survivor... I too try to go American when I can.... this haft is definitely not without it's
detractors.... no cracks, no chips, no knots, some run-off, middle of the road grain spacing..but
grain in the proper orientation to sledge face. I've had better luck with House than Link...but,
pricier. I'm going to make an attempt to check the bins at Ace, True Value, HD, and Lowe's on each
subsequent visit. May be able to find a Prince after looking over a lot of frogs. I have not seen the
Vulcan brand here is Az. , but, have not been looking.

Charles

Last edited:
I recently realized I need a sledgehammer. So I am now on the hunt for one. (Shouldn't be too difficult to find one)
As far as your handle. Here in Washington state our hardware stores are carrying "Vulcan" brand replacement handles. And just like yours , American hickory made in Mexico. I'm doing my best to keep buying American made. But to be honest House Handles and Link have let me down.

I wonder if the "Vulcan" brand line is a more recent rendition of the the "Voltech" brand acquired in 2009? *Referenced in the last line.
SQN6Dvb.jpg

Here is a thread on a hoe that lead up to Mexico gaining ownership of American tool companies to become Truper according to :

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1232649-True-Temper-hoe-Papagayo

I was reading through that document (Section IV) and it seems that not only were American companies absorbed, Mexico also imported tools and raw materials from China, Turkey, Russia, China, Germany, Guatemala, Chile, etc. to lower their cost even more. They state that they are legally independent of one material provider:

pg. 71/144

The paper is from a seminar by the National Polytechnic Institute on import/export taxation rules but that one section describes the business practices of Truper there and with a limited number of plants set up at the time to handle large tool making, it might be likely that is the quality approach to what was made there regardless if the Collins/Mann names were on export tools.

Just rambling at this point because there is no mention of tool/axe markings like “M” – just fits the timeline somewhat.

And

Operator1975's Collins manufacturing thread (2012):
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/966510-Collins-and-Co-Manufacturing-Thread

That seems similar to contain similar information as -this-

Disregard if it is just more of the same circles we go through every once in a while.

I know nothing but Happy Friday to everyone and nice sledge hammer.:thumbsup:

Are you near Seattle or Enumclaw? Hardwicks in Seattle and Cutters Supply in Enumclaw both carry Tennessee Hickory Products handles. They will come fat but are typically made of the finest 2nd growth white hickory. Otherwise you might try ordering direct from TH.

Sledgehammers with handles marked Truper, Vulcan, Mintcraft, and Collins Axe, and I would bet they all came from the same factory in Mexico:

31EU6tYMd5L._SX466_.jpg

MINT32887

6746879.JPG

31F%2BxumkR0L.jpg

Vulcan and Mintcraft are trademarks of Orgill, a large independent distributor of 'hardlines' products (based in Tennessee), and they probably source some of their products from Mexico.

Truper and Collins are of course trademarks of Truper (based in Mexico).

Sorry to go off topic, Drum4fun, without complimenting your nice work on that sledgehammer. Looks good!

Now to go back off topic, I noticed that Truper is now officially licensed to produce the Leveraxe. Appears that the wholesale price is listed as 448 pesos, roughly $22.

11307.gif

The Finnish Vipukirves Heikki Oy company has made a license agreement with Truper™, a Mexican Hardware Supplier and Tool manufacturing company. They supplies retailers throughout Mexico and the Latin American market in addition to the United States and Canada. Truper™ has licensed the production and sale of the Leveraxe for the North American consumer market. Truper is a privately held company and employs over 7000 associates worldwide.

This agreement is important step for the Finnish Leveraxe product which invented by Mr. Heikki Kärnä. High production costs have slowed the international growth of the Vipukirves Heikki Oy. This agreement allows Leveraxe now to be competive against other similar products internationally. The North American market is expected to yield a considerable sales volumes. Leveraxe has already been sold in North America, however the volume has been low due to higher retail price points which resulted from high distribution costs and lower volume manufacturing.

http://www.leveraxe.com/en/news/item/19-leveraxe-license-agreement

Last edited:
Thanks Steve ! Your data is never off topic. Thank you for all you provide this forum.

From what i've read on the Truper web site it seems like they have systematically grown
in to a major.... with "strategic relationships" with HD, Lowe's, and Ace Hardware. I could
not determine the providers of their "American Hickory". Thanks again.

Charles

Are you near Seattle or Enumclaw? Hardwicks in Seattle and Cutters Supply in Enumclaw both carry Tennessee Hickory Products handles. They will come fat but are typically made of the finest 2nd growth white hickory. Otherwise you might try ordering direct from TH.

Square_peg I see your in Maple Valley. I live in Kent.
Oh No ! Competition : )
Cutters in Enumclaw is where I'll be going bright and early Saturday morning. I just found them a few months ago. All they have is straight handles but they are nice. I've been to every hardware store frame Renton to Puyallup. I think I've bought all the good handles : )

Not worried about the competition, mate. I've still got a half dozen good handles in the garage. And I have a few other sources. ;)

Ha Ha! I still can't believe Commiefornia requires that sticker on a wood handle. Nice hang, though. Is that a heavy duty rated handle?

A17... Thanks... "heavy duty rated handle" ???? I was not aware a rating system existed.
I just saw "American Hickory" and thought it was good. What indicator is provided for the
heavy duty rating ? Thanks again.

...the terminal disease sticker from Cali made me do an in store eye roll. :rolleyes:

Charles

Sometimes States have to do for themselves what the Federal Gov't lacks the motivation to do. States rights and all.

You know, I have literal buckets full of great NOS handles. I save them because I want them when I need them, but my collection is always growing faster than I can use them. I should sell some. I wonder what shipping will be across the country on under 2 pounds.

Back