Got bitten hard by the Spyderco bug

UncleBoots

Gold Member
It seems like not that long ago that I was wishing that there were folding knives with reasonably-thin blades, and serious steels, for not-unreasonable prices. I'd heard of Spyderco, but the pictures showed these weird-looking knives with holes in them, and I thought it was some sort of gimmick. No knife with a hole in it could be serious, could it?

Finally I ordered a Dragonfly, your basic VG-10 Dragonfly, and fell in love with the darned thing. What a wonderful little punch-above-its-weight knife! The blade shape and thickness is perfect. It vanishes in the pocket, but somehow the little guy seems like a big-enough knife when open and being used. Just darned good design.

Now...I might have a problem. I've got about 8 Spydercos, in various sizes and steels, and am eagerly awaiting my preordered Dragonfly in K390 (it took two weeks to choose between that and the Delica). I love using these knives, and bringing them back to a razor-sharp edge. I love the contrast of the steels, and thinking about whether I like M390 better than Super Blue (maybe?). I guess I've got the bug. But at least I didn't go for that glow-in-the-dark one, I guess.

Hi UncleBoots,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the support.

There are quite few very smart and knowledgeable people hanging out here. Hope you enjoy your time here.

sal

What's wrong with glow in the dark, could save your life when the apocalypse comes and the grid is down!

Nothing's wrong with it at all, I'm just clinging to it as a hopeful example of my will power in not having to buy every interesting variation.

It looks like you prefer smaller knives with thin blades that really slice.
In that case, you NEED a Spyderco Chaparral.
Available in various prices depending upon plain or fancy scales. good luck; welcome.

It looks like you prefer smaller knives with thin blades that really slice.
In that case, you NEED a Spyderco Chaparral.
Available in various prices depending upon plain or fancy scales. good luck; welcome.

Uh oh. Hadn't heard about that one, and you're right, it is just my sort of knife.

Chaparral ordered. I'd like to think I'd have ordered a plain version, but KnifeCenter is having a folder sale, and that really nice looking titanium is on sale for not that much more than the base one, so...

Did I say something about will power earlier? Disregard that. And thanks much for the welcome.

I ordered a nice, fancy-scaled Chaparral to give to my spine surgeon when I see him for a check-up in mid-June. He fixed my lower spine with lots of nice hardware, and the bill was only $300k.
I'm grateful to him for fixing that problem child, which I screwed up in 1972.
You will love that Chap...rest assured.

He fixed my lower spine with lots of nice hardware, and the bill was only $300k.

Yikes! I've heard some doctor+spine horror stories, so if he did it just right, I guess it's cheap at the price after all.

It seems like not that long ago that I was wishing that there were folding knives with reasonably-thin blades, and serious steels, for not-unreasonable prices. I'd heard of Spyderco, but the pictures showed these weird-looking knives with holes in them, and I thought it was some sort of gimmick. No knife with a hole in it could be serious, could it?

A lot of Spydercos might not win beauty contests, but suddenly make a whole lot of sense when you've got them in your hand and you start cutting stuff.

Yeah, before I got one I didn't care for the hole, either. But I was walking thru a Cabelas one day and they had these neat little SS knives on sale for $8. I said, "EIGHT DOLLARS???" And bought a couple. It was the Byrd Robin, and it taught me to love the Spydie-hole. Now I won't even consider a knife that opens any other way.

If you like small I would look at the Native 5, as it is pretty small and comes in some fantastic steels.

Here is that $8 knife: :)

I ordered a nice, fancy-scaled Chaparral to give to my spine surgeon when I see him for a check-up in mid-June. He fixed my lower spine with lots of nice hardware, and the bill was only $300k.

I wanted to gift a high end Spyderco, To the Surgeon who performed my wife's Mazor Robotic guided 3 Level Lumbar Fusion. He wanted fine dark chocolate instead! :)
Guess we got a deal at $180 grand. Glad your better, Wouldn't wish that on anyone!

Chaparral ordered. I'd like to think I'd have ordered a plain version, but KnifeCenter is having a folder sale, and that really nice looking titanium is on sale for not that much more than the base one, so...

Did I say something about will power earlier? Disregard that. And thanks much for the welcome.

The Stepped Titanium Chaparral is an all time Spyderco classic IMO, You'll love it. Congrats

You'll know for sure if you have a real problem when you go to sell your most unused Spyderco, especially since it's worth more than you paid, but get almost emotional about it while taking pictures or writing the description, and then decide not to sell it.

Back