1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got my first hair whittling edge on KME!!!

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by MichaelMotorcycle, Nov 9, 2018 at 12:06 PM.

1. MichaelMotorcycle

MichaelMotorcycle Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 22, 2018
    So last night my KME kit arrived. I just purchased the basic kit and a stand. Used the 4 diamond stones to reprofile a combo tanto Kershaw blur that is heavily beat up down to 16 deg. Since it's a tanto I've never been able to get all that good of an edge on it with the sharpmaker which I also own. I spent maybe 30 minutes to 45 minutes total, blade was at 21 per my cube so I had a good amount of grinding to do but I only did the lower half of the tanto. I also bought a 10 dollar 40x loupe off the big A which was super helpful in ensuring I had a complete uninterrupted burr along the blade before each transition. (wow that thing is helpful!!) Got it real real sharp but my burr I could tell was really wanting to sneak back in after even like 3 strokes with the 1500 so I made sure I maintained super light passes alternating blade sides down from 3 pass per side, 2,then 1 with just the tiniest of pressure passes. Looked at it through the loupe and could see zero signs of a burr so I ran it across some paper and was shocked. I keep very sharp knives, all my edc knives easily shave arm hair against the grain. BUT THIS, this was a WHOLE different level of sharp! Thought to myself, get a hair, test it out!! Sure enough, was able to easily split a hair and the on one was able to create a second shaving from the already whittled hair. Wow!! I'll post photos later but didn't take them last night as I worked 15 hours that day already. What a great system. So glad I got it. Now I'll just have to try out the 3,5,7k grit sandpapers with blank that I have to get it to that next level.

2. l1ranger

l1ranger Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 27, 2017
    its a good feeling when it all comes together, isnt it?

nice job

3. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    Knife + guided sharpener = sanity and grace.
    Enlightening isn't it ;)

The other day I touched up my latest knife (Bos 5160 steel) free hand with a Shapton Pro 5000 full size bench stone, partly because it was recommended for removing tenacious burs.

I hate free hand sharpening.

4. MichaelMotorcycle

Oct 22, 2018
    Oh the joy brother!!

5. MichaelMotorcycle

Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018 at 12:50 PM
  6. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps

Apr 20, 2018
    Good for you! Sharpening if very rewarding. I would encourage you to consider investing in the pen jaws as they can be very useful for narrower (spine to edge) knives.

7. MichaelMotorcycle

Oct 22, 2018
    I'm really liking the idea that I can finally get a tanto blade sharp. I've been dismissing them for years because of the difficult time I had in sharpening them. Now I'm starting to wonder if I may like more tanto blades in my collection. I did have a hard time on two of my blades that were higher end steel around the belly with the kme. But with a tanto, you basically can't screw that up.

8. NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY

NORTHWEST_KNIFE_GUY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 14, 2017
  9. Cscotttsss

Cscotttsss Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 3, 2015
    I need to grab a loupe.