Got my first HI this weekend. Its awesome!

I just got my first HI Khuk this weekend. First of all, what fast service. Thanks a lot Uncle Bill.

Second, the Khuk is beautiful. I have to embarass my self and admit I'm not even sure what model it is. I think its a WWII 18" (although it seems shorter than that).

Third, it sure does work. I took it out and cut down several red sumac trees that have grown in the back over the summer, up to about 4" in diameter. It worked amazingly. Much more natural and accurate than when I tried to use a hatchet.

I did ding it a little on the end when I hit some rocks :mad: I've read the sharpening FAQ, but what angle do I use the chakma at? Does anyone have any pictures showing how you actually do burnish\sharpen the blade.

Thanks for listening.

Measure the length.

Do you not remember which one you ordered, was it a special, or?
Check out the HI web site or the shopping site and find your model.

Congratulations. None of us forget that magic when we first opened the box.

munk

So, do you know how to use the torture knives that came with it?
Do you want us to teach you?
You'll need a volunteer....

DannyinJapan said:
So, do you know how to use the torture knives that came with it?
Do you want us to teach you?
You'll need a volunteer....

Oh, absolutely. I don't know much about this stuff, but I want to learn.

Shann?

Welcome.

Don't sweat the small stuff on sharpening. The tool you got is used by folks to do everything and is often pounded back in shape with a rock. You are not doing micro-surgery, you are pushing steel back in place.

Just try to allign the edge with the chakma. You really can't hurt the blade. Mess with it enough and soon something will feel 'right' about what you are doing.

(Note: This post not authorized by the razor-sharp, hair-shaving federation of diamond honers. )

Watch your fingers.

Kis

As far as the other small knife (karda?), can I just sharpen that up like a regular knife on my sharpmaker?

Even I know enough not to try to sharpen the chakma :rolleyes:

In my own defense to those who said "you don't even know what you got" I had missed out on a deal of the day and Uncle Bill responded to my email that he had something nice that I would like and I took it. I assume its a WWII and whatever it is, its great.

Together with my 12" tramontina for weeds and light stuff I'm now equipped to do serious damage to plant life (and hopefully not me)

Welcome, Shann:)
If your khuk has a very simple groove cut into each side of the blade less than 1/2" below the spine (would almost look like what some would call a "blood groove"), then you probably have a WWII. This area of the blade is called "the sword or Shiva". It wouldn't surprise me at all if Uncle Bill sent you a WWII. I know he really thinks highly of that style of khuk. As a matter of fact, Uncle Bill sent me a WWII when i first got into HI a few years ago when i couldn't make up my mind. I haven't looked back since:) You should be able to sharpen your karda up on a sharp maker if you'd like. However, you might try the sandpaper/mouse pad trick of convexing the edge. It takes a little more work, but man is it worth it. If you did indeed get a WWII you will be very pleased at how all-purpose it is. Just be careful to keep all your meaty bits away from the sharp part and you should be fine;) Once again, welcome to the Cantina!

Jake

What they said.
:D
Welcome.

Check the HI online store for pix of all the models
in order to ID yours.

~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
<>call me
'Dean' :)-FYI-FWIW-IIRC-JMO-M2C-YMMV-TIA-YW-GL-HH-HBD-IBSCUTWS-TWotBGUaDUaDUaD
<> Tips <> Baha'i Prayers Links--A--T--H--D

Back