Got my Gunhammer! and have some thoughts.

I just got it in the mail today! I was surprised cause it is smaller than I thought it would be, but that thought is gone. Because the handle shape is awesome and there is just enough to get past the end of my hand. It is very smooth and the torpedo blade looks really good. Finish on everything is very good, it is also sharp. But some things I did notice the lock bar sticks, there are "nibs" on the backspacers a bur on the lock bar cut out and side to side blade play.Normally none of these things would bother me (because they do not affect the function) but the blade play is just a little too much if I could tighten the pivot I KNOW!!!! it would go away but it has the cyclone pivot so I can't. BUT DUDE I LOVE THIS KNIFE!!!!

P.S. the lock is working itself out

Was that one used? Nibs on the backspacers sounds like the blade is hitting the backspacer when you close it. This was an issue on some of the earlier Gunhammers. Darrel really really likes squeezing as much blade into a knife as possible; that's actually how my first Gunhammer was. I just ended up grinding it down myself overtime with sharpening. The new ones are ground a bit thinner so the blade doesn't cut nibs into the backspacers. It does have the cyclone pivot, so maybe it has an older blade from stock he had leftover.

What's the bur on the lock bar? This is something I've not heard of before.

About bladeplay, I'd send it to Darrel and have him check the pivot and tighten it. I'd ask him to grind the blade thinner too, and replace the backspacers with the nibs.

The lockbar sticking is normal. It should go away in town. You'll prob get stronger thumbs as a result.

PM me. I'll do what I can to see those issues squared away.

The blade isnt touching the spacers, hark have you ever put together a model car/plane whatever? When you pop the plastic pieces out of the panel you notice the pieces dont break cleanly and there is a square nib left on the piece. That is what these "nibs" look like, they are on the outer most ring of both spacers there is more than one per spacer also. The knife is brand new I ordered it directly from HTM.

Hi Mulefun

Where did you purchase the knife?
If it is NEW please return it with your concerns to
Briar Industries
4185 S. St. Rt. 605
Galena Ohio 43021

Please enclose a note with your issues and we will address them
I do not understand NIBS?
Our Goal is to have happy customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine wasnt sticky but it came with a bunch of pitting on the blade and material left in the jimping.

Hope you get the issues sorted out. I guess even HTM has the occasional lemon, but I have no doubt it will get sorted. It sure is a lot of knife for the handle size. HTM really maximizes blade to handle ratio, which is one thing I really like about the Gun Hammer. Enjoy!

Mine wasnt sticky but it came with a bunch of pitting on the blade and material left in the jimping.

Hi BWOLCOTT,
Same question. Was the knife... new or used? Where did you purchase it?

If you would please send to:
Briar Industries
4185 S. St. Rt. 605
Galena Ohio

OR Please tighten the pivot up yourself.
We would have to see the gimping to address you concerns.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

I still have the big usps box it came in. Can i put it back in it and have the post office put a return sticker on it?

I still have the big usps box it came in. Can i put it back in it and have the post office put a return sticker on it?

Yea, just put it back in the zip up case for protection and throw in some padding material in the box like crumpled up news paper. Please add insurance. Darrel will cover shipping back to you (and maybe refund the shipping to Ohio as well). Along with the knife, send a short note describing what's wrong and what you want looked at; this serves as a kind of work order and just helps keep things organized over there.

Hey Darrel my pivot wasnt loose I had pitting in the blade and the Jimping at a bunch of gunk in it, I purchased it new from you at the Plaza cutlery show, I can not send it in as I sold it already but thanks for the offer

Two thumbs up for Darrel and harkamus!! I am very encouraged to see Darrel's direct involvement in the forum. He is a stand-up guy, taking personal responsibilty for his customer's satisfaction. I guarantee you that I can name 20 top knife companies where there is no one who will take personal responsiblity for anything. I always like dealing with a one-man knife shop where I get to deal directly with the maker. Darrel has managed to take a one-man knife shop and increase the output 10,000+%. You just can't beat that!

Its on its way back.

We'll make sure it comes back to you perfectly.

Two thumbs up for Darrel and harkamus!! I am very encouraged to see Darrel's direct involvement in the forum. He is a stand-up guy, taking personal responsibilty for his customer's satisfaction. I guarantee you that I can name 20 top knife companies where there is no one who will take personal responsiblity for anything. I always like dealing with a one-man knife shop where I get to deal directly with the maker. Darrel has managed to take a one-man knife shop and increase the output 10,000+%. You just can't beat that!

Thank you for the kind words. Darrel may not post here much, but he does read things and take things into account. I do let him know of everything that goes on here so that he can focus more on the goings-on in the shop. He's just better served working in the shop and leaving the forum end of it all to me. Whatever issues I read here are directed straight to Darrel or Lisa over at customer service. We do what we can to make sure every customer is happy.

It has come back all problems fixed and flawless. Also It came with one of those awesome shirts, I want to wear it but I do not want to wash it because that would make it less badass. Quick turn-around time too.

It has come back all problems fixed and flawless. Also It came with one of those awesome shirts, I want to wear it but I do not want to wash it because that would make it less badass. Quick turn-around time too.
Great to hear. Darrel and co.'s customer service is top-notch. :thumbup:

Great to hear that all of the issues have been resolved. You have an awesome knife - I hope you enjoy it every day. That was a quick turn-around on the service.

Back