Got my Kailash Bowie!

Not bad at all...

Very slightly rough around the edges, but what I expected for a Himalayan product and of no concern at all. It adds character IMO, and shows that it was made by a person, not a machine.

I cleaned up the hamon a little and polished out the blade a bit. I still need to work on the hamon a bit more, and the lighting sucked for the pictures below - but you get the idea of what it looks like.

Razor-sharp and nice balance with a 10 inch blade.

Here's a link in the Kailash sub-forum if anyone is interested in seeing some work-in-progress pics as this custom knife was being built:

6uk9Pp0.jpg

7WGSSBh.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool... I like the design! Is it your design or theirs?? They make some good looking kukhris...
Look forward to seeing some sweat on the handle and sap on the blade!!!

It is a combination of designs. I tweaked/changed a few things, as well as requesting a 10" (vs. 8.5" standard length) blade length and the differential heat treat to show a hamon. Also added an unsharpened swedge and a pommel/butt-cap. The folks at Kailash are quite accommodating and easy to work with.

Yup, also looking forward to using it and see if it performs as well as it looks.

Last edited:
Congrats Nice blade do you have a over head shot looking down the blade?

You've done a great job brightening up that hamon!
How's it been treating you a month onwards?

You've done a great job brightening up that hamon!
How's it been treating you a month onwards?

Thanks Andrew.

The knife is a solid workhorse, without a doubt. Great balance and the full convex grind chops and splits with ease.

I did slim down the handle width slightly, and it now fits my hand perfectly. Note that the handle ergonomics would have been fine for someone with larger sized hands, which mine are not.

No action pics unfortunately, but so far this blade has done everything I asked of it with no issues.

Edge retention is good, and no hint of rolling or chipping even after hitting a few hard knots in some wood I was chopping into.

I'm quite pleased. :)

Excellent to hear! I think the mods have worked out great and I'm glad it treating you well.
Any plans for future mods?

It is a combination of designs. I tweaked/changed a few things, as well as requesting a 10" (vs. 8.5" standard length) blade length and the differential heat treat to show a hamon. Also added an unsharpened swedge and a pommel/butt-cap. The folks at Kailash are quite accommodating and easy to work with.

Yup, also looking forward to using it and see if it performs as well as it looks.

Nice looking knife.

Back