Got my new Sebenza, now how do I take care of it?

img_20190131_153134__015685958838861160461.jpg

OK guys and girls, I got my new Sebenza titanium handle with Macassar Ebony Inlay. What can I use to help maintain the ebony and the titanium? I do notice that titanium collects oils and smudges really easy even with clean hands. What can I do to help keep this shinning and bright?

The finishes tend to hide scratches well. It’s hard to get a Sebenza to look really beat up, even after years of use. Just use it and sharpen as needed. Take it apart and clean if it gets gritty.

Use it like you would any other knife. Clean it when it gets dirty enough to need it, and toss it back in your pocket. If something happens that sticks out to your eye, send it in for a spa treatment and start over again. They’re solid knives and easily cared for :thumbsup:

Be careful not to pinch the washers when teaching yourself how to disassemble/reassemble it.

What can I do to help keep this shinning and bright?

Wear latex gloves. If you’re allergic to latex special order non-allergenic gloves.

Place in a humidity monitored case, preferably made of shatterproof glass. Failing that, store the knife in a lockbox with desiccant packets. They are available online.

Museum curators and auction house employees routinely follow these procedures.

Last edited:
Right now you have a virgin knife. So, naturally any blemish will stand out. The only way to care for it is to use it, get all the polish parts smudgy where it all blends in. Then, clean it as often as you need to depending on how anal you are. I have succumbed to not worrying about the smudges and clean mine when I sharpen it. The wood should be stabilized, so, no worries there. Just avoid submerging it in water, getting the wood wet.
Most of all, enjoy your new knife whether it's jewelry or a user.

When I was researching wedding rings, I read that some people polished them every year. But the thing is that if you polish it, it has a mirror finish and every scratch is noticible. Then you have to polish it again and again, and as soon as you do, you inevitably get that first scratch that stands out like a lighthouse in a storm.

The other option is to have all the scratches blend in until it becomes more like a stonewash finish. At that point, new scratches are just blended into the ring. No need to polish.

If you decide to use your shiny new toy, it will end up looking like the ones in the link below. Only you can decide if you're willing to accept what use looks like and whether you want to use it like a tool. Not everyone does, and that's totally fine. This hobby is different things to different people.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pics-of-well-worn-weathered-crks-only.1505449/

Use it hard. If it gets dirty, wash it with warm water and soap and rinse. I never bother disassembling mine, just lube it with a tiny dot of BreakFree CLP from time to time. I applied a dab of blue LocTite to the screws after losing one.

When I was researching wedding rings, I read that some people polished them every year. But the thing is that if you polish it, it has a mirror finish and every scratch is noticible. Then you have to polish it again and again, and as soon as you do, you inevitably get that first scratch that stands out like a lighthouse in a storm.

The other option is to have all the scratches blend in until it becomes more like a stonewash finish. At that point, new scratches are just blended into the ring. No need to polish.

If you decide to use your shiny new toy, it will end up looking like the ones in the link below. Only you can decide if you're willing to accept what use looks like and whether you want to use it like a tool. Not everyone does, and that's totally fine. This hobby is different things to different people.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/pics-of-well-worn-weathered-crks-only.1505449/

Thanks so much for the link.. Is it me or does most of the these picture look like people purposeful made their knifes look that way? Random wear shouldn't look exactly like others every time unless the users forced that finish on them.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the link.. Is it me or does most of the these picture look like people purposeful made their knifes look that way. Random wear should look exactly like others every time unless the users forced that finish on them.
I'm sure some do purposely sandblast or scotch bright or stonewash the knife. Either that or use it for years and years until it looks stonewashed.

I read somewhere that is you use scotch bright on the handles, CRK will not refinish the handles when you send it in for a spa treatment.

I'm not 100 percent sure on that though so don't quote me.

A well worn Sebenza looks great, or almost any decent titanium framelock for that matter.

You can carry it it in a pocket sheath or pouch but that just prolongs the agony of gettin’ that first snail trail, that first shiny spot or rub mark. Careful you don’t make it dull.

I hear Sebenzas will hold a razor’s edge longer than any other knife that you never cut anything with. I’ve heard stories of knives that had been bought and never cut a thing in 25 years still held that mystical edge. Well we assume it does because if you don’t use your knife you can’t test it out, it’ll alway be sharp.

Or.... you can use it like a knife. Not a prybar, screwdriver but just a knife. It’ll hold up to most cuttin’ jobs very well. They hold an edge reasonably well. A little soft for some but easy to touch up and restore the edge.

My advice, because you have a wooden inlays, even though they’re ebony they’re not indestructible, is to keep it in a leather or nylon. pocket sheath. If you take care of it like a micrometer, a precision tool, it’ll keep it’s looks forever with a minimum of effort.

If you use it like a pocket knife, it’ll wear, it’ll get scratched, it’ll get a patina, who knows? It may even develope some character. Something to differentiate it from any other Sebenza like it. It’s own story as it were. A chronicle of its journey.

1FEYHDM.jpg

Or??? Maybe you need more than one? ;)

XQCaVLK.jpg

That's my next purchase. Lg Sebbie w/ inlays. And it will not be a safe queen. Oo-lah-lah!

Back