Got the GunHammer back from service...(not good) Please advise.

I sent my Gun Hammer in for pivot adjustment and a sharpening.
Whats wrong with this picture??.. (hint...my finger is bleeding.)
Gunhammer.jpg

I received my Gunhammer today and to my surprise, the blade isnt sharp (even by production knife standards) and there is still some minor blade play.
The real issue is that the blade now extends past the back of the handle when closed. When I slid my finger to activate the flipper, it sliced my index finger pretty good...Ugh.

Did I just get a bad knife and slip through the cracks in the service department? I am at a loss here?????? I am sure I will be taken care of given the reputation of Darrel but this seams odd and like the knife in general needs replaced.

Last edited:
Not sure how that slipped through the cracks, but it does happen from time to time from anyone. Give him a call and tell him the prob. I'm sure he'll take care of everything. I'm guessing because it's an HTM knife, Darrel doesn't get a chance to inspect every knife that leaves the shop. There's a good chance that someone else in the shop (that guy prob needs a splash in the face with ice cold water at this point to wake up) accidentally let that one out the door.

Write up a work order telling exactly what you want done and addressed. People tend to forget things, even in writing sometimes.

Little aside. I once ordered a 370 dollar fixed blade custom that came unsharpened, like the maker totally forgot to sharpen the knife. There was no edge bevel on the thing. I won't name names because I believe it was an honest mistake and that maker does make a great knife.

EDIT: Just took a look at my HTM bowie. The edge near the choil on mine also pokes out a little, but not as bad as yours. I have to consciously move the pad of my finger to that spot and apply pressure before I risk cutting myself though.

Last edited:
Mystro
Please return the knife and we will alter that point for you .
We will pay the shipping both ways.
We will also make note and assure that the issue does not happen again.
Thanks for pointing this out to us.
Send to
HTM Knives
4185 S. St. Rt. 605
Galena Ohio
Attn: Repairs VB
RA Number #ddr5

Thanks

Interesting. My new one (arrived on Tuesday and hasn't left my pocket since), is like Harkamus'. If I put my finger on that spot, it does make a bit of contact, although I'm not really worried. Will be interested to see what the fix ends up being. It also came a bit duller than I was expecting, but I spent a few minutes with the Sharpmaker, and am perfectly satisfied. Will be posting up my impressions at some point when I have time to sit down and do some testing. Nice to see the man himself popping in so quickly and fixing a customer's issue!

Yikes! :eek: I'm sure Darrel will be looking into this issue very closely & quickly! Can't have the heel of the edge sticking up right behind the flipper. Someone's gonna get an ear full. These aren't full blown customs but they're mid-tech and should be the next thing to a custom. If it didn't stick out so much you could dull it with a sharpmaker rod, but that's gonna take some readjusting. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a new HTM Gunhammer. :D

Knives should leave Darrel's shop at least this sharp (hair popping):

http://www.harkamus.com/sharp.3gp
You may need VLC player to play this since it's a .3gp file, which I believe is a mobile phone format. EDIT: You'll have to right click on the file and click "save link as" and play it through VLC. It will not play through your browser since almost all browsers do not support .3gp. It's a small file. Something like 7.5 mb.

They can get sharper though if you take them to sharper grits such as my mirror polished (only the edge) HTM bowie. Shaving sharp is sharp enough for utility though. I once asked Darrel about edge sharpness. He basically puts edges on his knives that are happy medium between sharp and durable. What good is a light saber sharp knife with a 15 degree inclusive edge if the edge just rolls over after cutting one thing of cardboard?

You can't really tell too easily on this pic, but here you can see somewhat of the mirror polished edge on my HTM.
edc01.jpg

Just a follow up.... I got my knife back and it looks like the entire blade has been replaced. Great job!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah, looks like that point got flattened a bit in that bottom picture. Got any of it closed, like in the first pic you had for this thread?

Yup, the bottom of the rear point is flattened but done so that you won't notice. It doesnt stick past the handle.

Outstanding. I bet your happy with that baby now huh! That blade style is starting to grow on me but I'm patiently waiting for Darrel's HTM Gunhammer 4" bowie to be offered for sale. I check the site almost every day, utter a few expletives and think - maybe tomorrow. :D

Thanks for the update guys.
The forum is a good place to make theLittlel nuances for the knives to keep the excellent.

Back