Gotta love the OKC RAT 1

Hello BF, my name is ThemGunsThough and im a knifeaholic. Anyways, I cant believe it took me so long to look into getting a rat 1. I now own 5 by the way, d2 versions and the original aus8. This past weekend I spent some time with the original aus8 version chopping up some wood and wow im impressed. Ive been a benchmade and spyderco fan boy and ive recently had an interest in budget knives.

Anyway, I got carried away and used a large heavy rock to hammer down the rat 1 to chop some large tree branches down. After chopping doen a few, I realized I should have used dense tree branch instead as I was knicking the top of my blade while doing so. After about an hour of intense chopping, I examined my rat 1 and was surprised that the blade still looked sharp and shaved my leg hair. Also, the blade centering was still perfect.

Wow, I love this knife. Im sure most of you do too and now I see why.

While I haven't put my rat through a torture test like that, it's good to know it will take it. I am considering the 1a and the 2 now.

I own a rat 1 and I haven't been able to see what all the fuss is about. I've made it more of a designated cardboard box cutter. Any other more demanding tasks but I don't cut wood.

My initial impressions with the knife is that it is slightly too big. Also slightly too heavy. I don't like the handle shape compared with the blade shape when it is open. Also it is hard to release from the closed position. The lock that holds the blade closed is hard to get passed to flick it open

I recently repurchased two (one for a spare) to use as do-it-all travel knives. As I have to travel regularly with work the idea of the TSA or some unscrupulous baggage handler stealing my other beloved folders whilst they are in my checked baggage has proved too much. Whilst I like the RAT1, it wouldn't break my heart if it went astray as it is so cheaply replaced.

I would add, that my reintroduction to the RAT1 has been positive. I personally like the blade shape, handle egos, etc. It certainly represents good bang for buck!

I own a rat 1 and I haven't been able to see what all the fuss is about. I've made it more of a designated cardboard box cutter. Any other more demanding tasks but I don't cut wood.

My initial impressions with the knife is that it is slightly too big. Also slightly too heavy. I don't like the handle shape compared with the blade shape when it is open. Also it is hard to release from the closed position. The lock that holds the blade closed is hard to get passed to flick it open
While the more I carry mine the more I love it, it sounds like you would be better served with something different. That's what makes the world go round.

I don't carry them, but I do love 'em. Great knives. I have three in D2; I think. One is orange...kinda of a nice change.

I have to say the only Chinese(Taiwan) folder I carry ever, and it's a fantastic cutter/slicer in d2 and is still really affordable have 1 in black and 1 in olive drab

While the more I carry mine the more I love it, it sounds like you would be better served with something different. That's what makes the world go round.
Rat2 is smaller, don't know if it comes in d2, but everything else the same

I used to have it and liked it but there is something about the shape of the blade that I never like I like to be proud of the knives I carry. Ipick knives out in the morning the way somebody would pick out there jewelry. Igave my OKC away to a friend (fellow knife collector). I replaced it with the steel will H6 There are 4 or 5 different models. The blue sheep is the longest and it is a linerlock. the others are framelocks. You can pick one of them (I don't remember which). I have the H6 Blue sheep, plus, S1 and a few others. There is also a H6-S6 It is a numbered limited addition and was over $150. I have one but I don't carry it. The blades are 14c28n which is a great budget metal. I promise you you will love it one is 3.3 inches and the others are 3 3/4. The action on these knives is amazing. It feels as though they are on bearings. If you have a problem with them being a Chinese company all the Rats are made in china. Good luck.

I replaced it with the steel will H6 There are 4 or 5 different models. The blue sheep is the longest and it is a linerlock. the others are framelocks. You can pick one of them (I don't remember which). I have the H6 Blue sheep, plus, S1 and a few others. There is also a H6-S6 It is a numbered limited addition and was over $150. I have one but I don't carry it. The blades are 14c28n which is a great budget metal. I promise you you will love it one is 3.3 inches and the others are 3 3/4. The action on these knives is amazing. It feels as though they are on bearings. If you have a problem with them being a Chinese company all the Rats are made in china. Good luck.
It's not Steel Will, but probably Real Steel (they have a model called H6).
RATs are made in Taiwan BTW.

I loved my RAT, it was my first serious knife and I'm glad it was.

It's not Steel Will, but probably Real Steel (they have a model called H6).
RATs are made in Taiwan BTW.

I loved my RAT, it was my first serious knife and I'm glad it was.
Your right It was real Steel. I didn't like the shape of the blade and I couldn't get used to it. The H6 series has a much more design appeal too me. The steel is pretty good and it sharpens up nicely on my KME.
If you want to know more about the h6 go to YouTube. Their are 5 or 6 different models and 1 collector model that is about $150. It feels good in the hand. The rest of them are under $50.00.

Back