1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Gov-Tac solid or not?

Discussion in 'SOG Specialty Knives' started by Carcajou, Feb 3, 2008.

1. dl351

dl351

May 5, 2006
    Well, after a bit of thinking in regards to what BubbaGanew has added to this thread, I state again, as long as the weld is done right and annealed, the weld should not be a weak point. If I really got the itch to do the stacked leather handle, I probably still would purchase a gov-tac. If I really wanted to beat on a knife, the gov-tac wouldn't be my first choice regardless of tang design. I have my share of "heavy duty" knives (Scrapyard and Ranger) that I can use for that. Heck, I'm sure my Seal 2000 could take anything I could or would ever throw at it. I guess there's my SOG Tech II, but that knife is pretty much brand new and far to pretty for me to use right now. Anyway,my opinion of the original SOG Government, as well as the Gov-tac has been that they look like good all around use camp knives, not heavy use door breaching knives. Well, that's my 2 cents worth.

2. Robbie Roberson

Robbie Roberson

Dec 27, 2003
    Dan, that was very well said. :D

Robbie Roberson;)

3. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    What can i say on that...my love for knives is a mental problem i will always find an imperfection on any knife...and the most usefull knife for modern people is a butterknife.I really love the Gov-Tac look the design,so i would like a full tang...anyway the only way to see myself satisfied is a custom knife :D

4. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    And finally if i win a big ammount of Cash $$$ i will pay for a Loveless...:)

5. Culpeper

Culpeper Banned BANNED

Jul 1, 2007
    I have a Gov-Tac. Doesn't seem like a bad knife. I don't like the sheath. In fact, I find it a little dangerous. Gotta be careful putting that knife in and out of the sheath.

6. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    I dont like sog's kydex sheath ,and their patent pending too.and for the Gov-Tac construction (design) I thing they haved change it since 2005...On www.sogknives.com we can see a picture of a gov-tac (Bead blasted)Pommel and the pommel look to be (skrew)this gov-tac have a kind of skrew to hold the pommel in place,in 2005 gov-tac haved not the same...(lock)system.what do you know about that?

7. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

8. Culpeper

Culpeper Banned BANNED

Jul 1, 2007
    Is it possible to get leather rings on it?

9. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
    Not that I'm aware of. You have to do it yourself or have it custom made.

10. Culpeper

Culpeper Banned BANNED

Jul 1, 2007
    That's what I'm referring to. Can it be done?

11. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    BubbaGanew why do you think the tang is showing on a gov-tac and not on another ?The tang haved probably change a little bit?

12. BubbaGanew

BubbaGanew

Oct 29, 2005
    I don't know exactly why. What I was showing in pictures and what you were describing is why two Gov-Tacs would have different fasteners for their pommels. But exactly why is something [email protected] would have to answer. All I can say is that it was observant of you to notice.

13. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    thanks BubbaGanew! of course i would like an answer from [email protected] for this question.

14. baldtaco-II

baldtaco-II

Feb 28, 2006
    Did the 2005 one have a lanyard hole? The flat fastener is very similar to how the older Governments are done, and they don't have a thong hole. Just a guess.

15. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    Yes they have a lanyard hole.

16. Chris@SOG

[email protected] Moderator Moderator

Oct 21, 2003
    Sorry I have been absent from this for a bit. SHOT show really got me this year. I seemed to come down with something like the flu and have just now getting back to 100%. Not there yet but getting closer.

It looks like the Gov-Tac in question is one of the first production ones and we have since corrected production. We had a batch at the very beginning of producing those knives (about 3 years ago) that were manufactured incorrectly. We caught as many as we could but some did get out.

As a part of correcting the tang problem we redesigned the pommel and fastener. This is the reason for the two different designs.

It seems the knife in question here is one that got out. What I would ask is that if you are not happy with it please send it in and we will replace it with the current version for you.

17. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    thanks for your answer but how is the tang in the current version ?and how can i be sure that the gov-tac i will buy is the current version?whit the fastener show on SOGKNIVES.COM?

18. Chris@SOG

[email protected] Moderator Moderator

Oct 21, 2003
    I can not guarantee anything other than what is coming out of the factory here. But do keep in mind that this was changed about 3+ years ago and I would guess all of those have either been returned to SOG or are out in the world owned by someone. So if you are buying from a reputable dealer you should be fine.

19. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    OK thanks for the seconds question'a answer but what about the tang?:)

20. Carcajou

Carcajou Banned BANNED

Feb 3, 2008
    It is welded or full under the kraton ?on current version