How To Grandads old knife

Hi everyone.

New to the forum and looking for abit of advice & insight so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Today I came across one of my grandads old knifes that I can remember him having since my childhood (now 32.) Pictures attached.

Ideally I'd like to try and restore it back to its former glory.

The knife has a stamp that says 'I cut my way, William Rodgers, Sheffield, England'

Would this be something I'd be able to restore myself with little to no experience in this field or would it be better letting someone do it for me?

If I was able to have ago myself is there a best way to go about it. Would just like to concentrate on the blade for now but will want a new sheath for it as well at some point.

Any help, advice or information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

That looks to be in pretty good shape. I'd start by just wiping the blade down with some wd40 or something of that nature to stop any red oxidation, followed by some neatsfoot oil on the leather handle.

Willie’s right, you can do this. I’d stop short of polishing it up to new condition, leave some memories on it, and then take it out and use it. Very cool to have a family knife like that.

Parker

Regarding the sheath, it can present an opportunity for a revolving craft project.

First good knife I ever made in my 20s, I had a crappy old Gerber sheath that fit it. One day I decided, I’m going to make a better one. The sheath I made was crude and clunky, same style and size as the Gerber, but I was so proud of it cause I made it. Later I got a book on leather working, and thought, I can make a better one. So I did, in a different style, and was proud of it. About 10 years later, I made an even better one for that knife.

Now, I enjoy having more than one sheath for a particular knife. I can keep them belted on different pairs of pants for different occasions. I also have different knives that fit in the same sheath, for “mix and match” flexibility.

You might not (want to) end up like me in that regard, but it’d be a fine thing to carry your grandad’s knife in a sheath you made yourself. Even finer to pass it down through your family.

Just an idea.

Parker

That blade looks like it might be chrome plated. Some makers of older knives did that with carbon steel blades. If so, it'd be difficult to polish fully up to it's original condition anyway. The areas showing some rust or patina might've already lost some of that plating. Once it's gone, it's gone forever.

As others have mentioned, it may be best to just focus on cleaning up any red rust showing and leave the rest more or less as it is. All of that patina & surface wear is a great part of the history of that knife, and more so for a family heirloom.

The blade isn't plated. You might try lightly buffing the worst parts with 0000 steel wool. It will remove the active rust.
Then wipe it down with WD 40 several times until the rust stops coming off on the cloth.
Anything else will require regrinding and re polishing the blade.

Thanks for all your replies ill look into doing the things mentioned.

I've got no real use for the knife what so ever just want to keep it because it was my grandads.

I'm hoping to learn more about the knife itself as Sheffield UK (where I'm from & where it was made) is famous for its steel (steel city)

It's just a cool little find that I know he'd had for many years & I'd like to keep myself. I don't think it held any real sentimental value to him but now it does to me.

I wouldn't do a thing to it except maybe sharpen it. A patina is like a knife's history.

Back