1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grandpa's Old Hunting Knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Lemmy Caution, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Lemmy Caution

Lemmy Caution

Aug 17, 2013
    Well some time back I was visiting my mother in Chicago. My mother never throw anything away, I guess I take after her, so our garage is just full of old dusty boxes, most of which she's never actually looked in herself. In my family I'm sort of the de facto historian as I seem to be the only one who cares about family articles from the past. Well after a few day of boredom I started going through some old boxes deep in the recesses of the garage and came upon some of my Grandpa's keepsakes and photos. Amazing stuff, nothing precious or valuable, but a treasure trove of photos from WWII ( he was stationed in Egypt because he had been born in Germany), odd and ends, and a knife or two. He was born in 1920 in Karlsruhe-Baden, Germany and his family came over to Chicago 2 years later. He was a humble hard working welder and carpenter and from what I'm told always had a pocket knife on him, though never anything fancy or collectible. He passed away must be over 20 year ago now. I found this strange old hunting knife though. [​IMG]

It once had cheap stag slabs that had cracked and fallen off and the blade was coming out of the handle. The blade was full (don't know that he ever really went hunting) but clouded with patina from who knows how many years sitting in a leather sheath outside with Chicago seasonal changes in temp and humidity. Under the patina one can make out a faint etch of a Stag surrounded by what looks like Bavarian ornamentation. Hard to see here:

[​IMG]

and the butt end of the handle had this goofy Eagle head (actually think its pretty cool)

[​IMG]

With the handle damaged as it was and the blade loose I thought about just sawing some new slabs and using the original frame but the guard and the Eagle head make the grip too small for my hands. Also the blade stock is actually quite thin, which I like, but it doesn't seem like its best use is in a knife handle of this type. So I decided instead to reserve the original handle for something else and rehandle the blade with a nice piece of Stag Antler I had laying around. I boiled the antler for about a half hour and then sunk it onto the vice clamped blade tang. Pretty simple but I think it came out nice and will likely see a fair amount of use in the kitchen. Here it is:

[​IMG]

This antler fits the hand perfectly and the swayback makes it great for slicing, skinning and boning. And the thin carbon stock sharpened up very well.

[​IMG]

and here you can see the Stag etch a bit better:

[​IMG]

Its nice to have something to remember him by that I can use often. But its funny - I have my doubts a to whether he ever even used it himself :D

Thanks for looking. If you feel like sharing your dad or grand dad's knives go for it. Also if anyone has any suggestions for what to do with the old handle feel free to suggest.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    willard0341, donn, Mikael W and 3 others like this.
  2. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    I say that is pretty cool Mr Caution! With a thin blade she ought work well in the kitchen.
    To have something that my grandfather used mean quite a bit to me.:thumbup:
    I was lucky enough to get my maternal grandfathers Winchester Model 94, 32 Special and his hunting knife!
    IMG_0411.jpg
    A Cattaraugus

Dave

3. Lemmy Caution

Lemmy Caution

Aug 17, 2013
    Hey Dave -

That' a very nice Cat there.

4. Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer

Aug 15, 2005
    Here is an ad for the knife from 1956. They were made, or at least sold, by Korium. I remember seeing them in stores in the mid 1970's when I was a teenager. It looks better with your stag.

[​IMG]

5. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Very cool!

6. Markesharp

Markesharp KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 8, 2014
    Nice job on the re-handle! :thumbup:

Thanks for the catalog pictures Chris. I would buy knife "A" :eek: :D

7. jimh0220

jimh0220

Apr 15, 2008
    I would have left the original parts on for the sake of nostalgia, but I'm a sucker for crap like that. But this isn't a memory you remember seeing of his, so I think you made it a cool new blade while keeping the memory alive. Nicely done.

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  8. Lemmy Caution

Lemmy Caution

Aug 17, 2013
    Wow Chris- I never thought I'd get an ID of the original knife. Cool to know its Solingen. Thanks so much for that catalogue pic too.

9. Lemmy Caution

Lemmy Caution

Aug 17, 2013
    Hey Jim - I would have too but the stag pieces had already fallen off and the tang wasn't even attached to the handle so it was really loose. I don't think that nostalgia is crap but in this instance it just wouldn't be usable the way it was. And I might have rescaled it but I wanted to use it in the kitchen (this dog don't hunt) so I found this handle to be much more useful.

10. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Chris Meyer, guys like you are why I just reupdated my membership. Very cool!

Nice old knife. It's amazing seeing old catalogs with old prices. Wouldn't even cover postage now.

Excellent thread!

Joe

11. The Mastiff

The Mastiff

Apr 21, 2006
    Chris Meyer, guys like you are why I just reupdated my membership. Very cool!

Nice old knife. It's amazing seeing old catalogs with old prices. Wouldn't even cover postage now.

Excellent thread!

Joe

12. incision

incision

May 19, 2014
    Awesome thread.
    Lemmy, it's great that you have some of grampa's keepsakes. I like the way you did the antler swayback style.
    Chris Meyer, great investigative work!

13. Chris Meyer

Chris Meyer

Aug 15, 2005
    Thanks guys. Somehow I have good recall memory for knives I've seen, yet I walk from one room to another and forget why I switched rooms in the first place. :rolleyes:

Buy the way Lemmy, the handles always seemed loose on those knives, that's why I never bought one as a kid. Seeing your picture of the knife apart, I can see why. That whole handle section appears to have been held on by one pin.

14. KrispyNova

KrispyNova

Nov 7, 2018
    I lucked up and found this one in almost perfect condition just had to clean the blade. It didnt have a sheath so i made my own leather sheath out of a old horse saddle and a old leather belt.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

sunnyd and Old Engineer like this.
  15. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I am not seeing your pictures Sir !!!
    I think I still have one of those knives that I bought in around 1964 .

Harry

16. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Im in for a Helen of Troy version!

17. KrispyNova

KrispyNova

Nov 7, 2018
    sunnyd and Old Engineer like this.
  18. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Thank you for the pics . Yours has much nicer handles than mine does or ever did .

Harry

19. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    You really don't. Most of us, even the paid members, use imgur or similar. It's pretty easy to use and it's free.
    Nice old knife, by the way!

JohnDF likes this.
  20. KrispyNova

KrispyNova

Nov 7, 2018
    Thank yall!! I lucked up when my buddy gave it to me she was about to take it apart.