Gransfors Bruks Hunters Axe Review

In this post I’ll take a look at one of the less widely used Gransfors Bruks axes-the Hunters Axe. According to the manufacturer, the tool was designed specifically to help hunters skin large animals by using the rounded poll to hit and separate the hide from the body.

027.JPG

Specifications:
Manufacturer: Gransfors Bruks AB
Axe Head Weight: 1.5 lb
Axe Length: 19 inches
Axe Head Material: Unknown Swedish steel
Handle Material: Hickory
Cost: $170.00

m%20%284%29.JPG

This is a very expensive axe, even more so because it is what I would consider a specialized tool. In this post I will compare it to the Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe, and their length and weight specifications are about the same.

036.JPG

m%20%2816%29.JPG

The handle of the Hunters Axe a little shorter than that of the Small Forest Axe. It also has a completely different shape. While the Small Forest Axe has a handle which looks like a shrunken down felling axe handle, the Hunters Axe appears to have an enlarged Wildlife Hatchet handle. The Hunters Axe handle also has grooved handle, which it intended to help with the grip when the axe is covered in blood. I find that the rest of the time this makes the handle less comfortable to use as it abrades the hand. The grain of the handle is good, as expected from an axe with this price tag, but there is some heart wood, which may be an issue for some people.

The head of the Gransfors Bruks Hunters Axe is very similar to that of the Small Forest Axe. The bit is thin and penetrates well into wood. It similarly suffers from the problem of having a head which expands too abruptly between the bit and the eye.

046.JPG

The eye the Hunters Axe is a bit smaller and more rounded than that of the Small Forest Axe. The design appears to be there to accommodate the hatchet-like handle used on the Hunters Axe.

050.JPG

The balance of the axe is fairly good, and comparable to that of the Small Forest Axe. The bit is sightly heavier than the poll, but overall, the balance is good.

b%20%287%29.JPG

The other significant difference between the two axes is the Hunters’ Axe rounded poll. It is well polished and any sharp corners or flat surfaces have been removed. I don’t know how much of an advantage this provides when skinning a large animal, in particular when compared to an axe with a non rounded poll, but it certainly does not help with any other task to which you may put the axe. Forget about using it to hammer in tent stakes. You are as likely to hit it with a bar of soap, as you are with that rounded poll.

056.JPG

I think that reflects my overall impression of the Gransfors Bruks Hunters Axe. It appears to be a specialized tool for which I could not find good use during regular camp use. The rounded poll was a big down side, as you can no longer use the poll to hammer in tent stakes, crush nuts, etc. The handle was made more uncomfortable my the grooves, and the reduced length, combined with the hatchet like design made it uncomfortable to use with two hands. In the end I found myself using it as a large hatchet. I’m sure that all of these characteristics would be very useful to someone who skins a lot of elk, and this may be the perfect axe for that person, but in my opinion all of the design alterations made it a lot less usable as a general bushcraft axe.

Ross
http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com

So, your supposed to hit the skin with the poll to peel it away from the carcass? I know a LOT of hunters who would get a good laugh out of that. That and the price.

Regards

Robin

Last edited:
Let's see. The Gransfors is made in Sweden not the US. The primary game hunted in Sweden is the "elk" we call moose. How many moose have you skinned? They developed this axe to deal with a very large animal that most Americans never hunt and very, very few ever skin. I can tell you that skinning a moose or bison is no small task. Even working up our elk will get you huffing and puffing. In Alaska hunters use chain saws lubed with vegetable oil for cutting up moose if they are not backpacking in. Who would think of this for a whitetail? This axe was not developed as a camping axe. The price as with all Gransfors axes is substantial.

The land I live on is very well inhabited with Moose. One group hunting on my land (100 acres) and the 100 next to mine got 6 Moose in a week of hunting last year. We also have re-established Elk into the area to a point that they are offering licences for 50 this coming season. I have skinned Moose and Many White tails.

Regards

Robin

Thanks for the fine review, Ross.
I recently decided to dive right in and get a couple of small GB pieces for camping / hiking.
I ended up with a SFA for the campsite, and a Wildlife Hatchet for my belt or pack on day hikes.
They are both beautiful examples, I can hardly wait to get out and use them in the woods.

pete

Robin, I am glad you have had the experience of skinning moose as I have. I have used a knife for all my personal skinning tasks as well. However, I have friends of Swedish and Norwegian decent that use a hunting axe to skin their animals. They are very proficient and seem to expend less effort than most skinning their game. Anyone seeing these gentlemen working with their axes would not laugh. Different strokes for different folks.

Reactions: vab
Robin, I am glad you have had the experience of skinning moose as I have. I have used a knife for all my personal skinning tasks as well. However, I have friends of Swedish and Norwegian decent that use a hunting axe to skin their animals. They are very proficient and seem to expend less effort than most skinning their game. Anyone seeing these gentlemen working with their axes would not laugh. Different strokes for different folks.

I meant no disrespect for those who use an axe for skinning in fact I used a small cleaver that I made last year. The good old boys up here in the boonies tend to be a little fixed in their ways, as many hunters are ;-) I watched two of them skin out a couple of calves, one used a box cutter the other a 30 year old schrade old timer trapper. My comments were more about the old timey hunters of this area.
Here's a pic of the Moose skinner and sheath I built.
Best regards

Robin

4694298642_48a8f648be.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

I must be the odd man out.

I lusted after the Hunter's axe for years, and when I finally got it, I fell in love. It's my most used and most loved small axe, for me better than the Small Forest.

100_0252.jpg

100_0253.jpg

Robin, I like your moose skinner. My hunting knife for the 23+ years I lived in Alaska was a Chicago Cutlery knife I bought 47 years ago when I was a butcher. A friend made me a sheath for it. It came up missing during my move to Colorado 9 years ago. When I lived in Alaska, most of my hunting was done in areas where I flew out to and did not carry a hand axe due to weight restrictions (50 lbs. total for everything except the clothes I had on). I now have a Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe and will see how it performs.

I have skinned many deer in my time and some steers. Most of the time I made few cuts as possible and tried to fist the hide off the deer. In doing so, you don't have score marks on the hide. The score marks, or light cuts on the flesh side of the hide, weaken the hide when you work the hide while you braintan it. It makes it easier to pop through the hide in that damaged area. I don't know about pounding the hide off the carcass, but to grab the head of the axe and push the pole side between the skin and meat makes sense. It is much harder to get the hide off beef and more knife work is used. I would like to see a demo of the technique.

Robin, I like your moose skinner. My hunting knife for the 23+ years I lived in Alaska was a Chicago Cutlery knife I bought 47 years ago when I was a butcher. A friend made me a sheath for it. It came up missing during my move to Colorado 9 years ago. When I lived in Alaska, most of my hunting was done in areas where I flew out to and did not carry a hand axe due to weight restrictions (50 lbs. total for everything except the clothes I had on). I now have a Wetterlings Small Hunting Axe and will see how it performs.
Robin, I like your skinner as well. I just picked up a very old thin cleaver with a wooden handle that looks like yours at a garage sale the other day. The high carbon steel sharpens well. The steel has a nice "ping" to it when you thump it. I will have to try and make something like yours.

Robin, I like your skinner as well. I just picked up a very old thin cleaver with a wooden handle that looks like yours at a garage sale the other day. The high carbon steel sharpens well. The steel has a nice "ping" to it when you thump it. I will have to try and make something like yours.

Hi there LA
I'm not sure what my cleaver was before I got it. A friend picked it up for me in PEI, it was broken off about an inch past the new tip and incredibly hard steel (probably why it broke), hand forged with a convex grind and a huge tang. The handle I put on it was the head end of a bent hawk haft. It worked great for Moose skinning.

Best regards

Robin

who needs a stinking axe to skin a deer in 2 min!!! not really axe related but cool. i found an article with pics from another forum where the guy just used an axe to skin a deer, but didn't know if it would be ok to post because it has other advertisers on the page. is that ok to post?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wnGxuVmj-g

Back