GRANSFORS SPLITTING MAUL really worth the dough?

Well I was thinking in terms of output capacity but yeah, time efficiency is another way of seeing it. Any task that can be automated frees people up to do other things with their time.

If you enjoy processing wood manually in your spare time, power to you. :thumbup:

I think you are right, everyone should buy an automated wood cutting machine that costs a quarter of a million bucks and start a business selling firewood. How convenient! If you get tired of using your own wood go take your pick of the thousands of other guys selling it in your town, maybe trade him your wood for his wood.
It would be fun comparing wood with other dudes.
:D

you'll also get more efficient by being careful where you cross cut your timber, try to make your cuts near the knots, leaving one clean end to split.

Shhhhh! That's MY secret!
shameonyou.gif

I tried one of them fancy splittin' machines but I couldn't fit it on my backpack.
lol.gif

I love my GB splitting maul. I've had it for several years now really enjoy it.
It is/was worth the $ to me.
We're off grid and heat exclusively with wood, so I use it all the time.
I say 'go for it'. You won't regret it!

Last edited:
We heat with wood and have for over 30 years. My wife gave me a Gransfors maul maybe 5-6 years ago and it has been used to split around 7-8 cords a year since then. Works great. I have several other mauls but this is my favorite. The metal sleeve on the handle also saves you needing a replacement every couple of years.

We heat with wood and have for over 30 years. My wife gave me a Gransfors maul maybe 5-6 years ago and it has been used to split around 7-8 cords a year since then. Works great. I have several other mauls but this is my favorite. The metal sleeve on the handle also saves you needing a replacement every couple of years.

Good experience info.

Why is it your favorite? Does it split smoother, cleaner, more comfortable in the paws?

Good experience info.

Why is it your favorite? Does it split smoother, cleaner, more comfortable in the paws?

They work so well that my wife can even split wood with mine :p

In all fairness though, she is a pretty tough little gal ;)

I could probably say that about mine too. My wife won't use any other maul. Very efficent design of the right shape and weight to make splitting easier than some of the heavier models.

Sorry to drag up/highjack an old thread, but for those with a Gransfors Splitting Axe, do you find the length to be too short? It seems like 27" wouldn't be long enough to get a good swing. I'm comparing the Splitting Axe and Maul, so any help to decide would be swell.

John

For lots of work I would say yes, a bit short, but then I bought the small splitter for taking on canoe and camping trips.
At 3.5lbs. I find it small enough to take with. The handle is 23". I also found that it split a lot better than one of my old, larger clunkers.Could be me though.:eek:

Back