Grapefruit sized shoulders, how to get them?

Just alternate reaching for the sky with each arm for a few reps with something heavy, like your wallet :) You can start off with a light one like mine.

So where does he get a heavier wallet? One thing I did many years ago, when I actually had some muscles, was supersets for shoulders. This consists of two sets done without a break, of two different exercises. So for example, I would do a military press with some weight and then grab slightly smaller dumbells and do lateral raises. I actually had pretty good delts, for a guy my size, anyway. And remember, don't overdo it. Rehab is a bitch!

Cheers, Acolyte.

Progressive Overload- Make good progressions in the weights you use.

Do rows, bench presses, incline presses, shrugs, and other exercises that effect the delts.

But remember- Don't just train the anteriors, also make sure you get the back/sides of the shoulders. Get lots of protein. Build up the neck with shrugs.

Basically, right now I'm doing a M-W-F routine that includes the following:

3x12 lowered weight pullups (on incline, currently 60% bodyweight)
Then the rest with dumbbells:
3x12 military press
3x12 lateral raise
3x12 bench
3x12 incline bench
3x12 dumbbell butterfly
3x12 Bent over row

and a bunch of other misc exercises for the rest of the body. I'm seeing changes already and will probably be "installing" my own pull up bar outside with some 6x6s and a piece of pipe in a few more weeks. Wish I had the yard for a 50' rope climb and horizontal ladder.

I reckon dumbbell shoulder presses, seated, are a good strength/mass builder.

Over head barbell presses are good too, but you gotta be careful with your shoulder. I find these are more stressing on the joint.

johnniet said:
I'm a big fan of rotator cuff exercises (especially #2 there), but is this really a good idea?
I consider them extremely important. Since bench presses usually involve heavy weight, it's vital that the press is balanced. The weaker cuff will be susceptible to tears because of overload. When you start to do some serious poundage the risk of injury increases. Especially during overhead presses. Frequently, damage is initially started by uneven bench presses. Couple those minor tears with bringing a behind the neck press to low and major damage is likely. Most people will shrug of an uneven press thinking that your dominant arm is naturally stronger. Your grip and rotator cuff are stronger only because they get the most work in your dominant arm. That's why it's important to start with your off arm and count the reps to failure. Once you know the limit of the off arm, doing the same amount and no more with the dominant arm keeps things even. In time both will be become stronger equally. When first starting a weight training program it's best to work the rotator cuffs first thing before every workout.
Should you really ice the shoulders immediately after exercising? Or is that part just meant for people who are rehabilitating after an injury?

Yep. That's for rehab of a tear or impingement.

See, I'm just doing dumbbell exercises instead of barbell ones becaue I want both sides to develope equally, instead of worrying about my strong side cheating for the weak one. Plus, on dumbbell exercises, you can't bench as much as with a barbell, so the weight is a lot lower.

Spark, you just stick with what you're doing, and you will be fine.

I never get into these topics because there is so much opinion and too many types of people to come to a sure win solution.

Just remember this, its not going to be easy, if you walk out of the gym and feel like you cheated, then you probably did.

Hey Kevin,

I had this witty, sarcastic response to your thread (My Answer: "Reduce the size of your brain!"...based on response to thread topic), then I saw it was you who posted it.

Best of luck on the workout! Limitations with my body won't let me...

Spark said:
See, I'm just doing dumbbell exercises instead of barbell ones becaue I want both sides to develope equally, instead of worrying about my strong side cheating for the weak one. Plus, on dumbbell exercises, you can't bench as much as with a barbell, so the weight is a lot lower.
I hear ya. But those rotator muscles are already out of whack. Unless your ambidextrous and regularly use your off arm to hammer, throw, etc. Dumbbells are a more intense workout and somewhat more dangerous. More stabilizer muscles are brought into play with dumbbells and fatigue becomes a factor quicker. Remember, it was you who said grapefruit size. ;) Sooner or later, you'll reach point with dumbbells where gains will slow almost to a stop. You're gonna have to start hoisting some righteous weight with the bar. It's too intense to do all your exercises and steadily increase the weight with just dumbbells. Like bob Bowie says, don't over-train. Please, whatever you do, barbells or dumbbells or both, exercise those rotators. Even a slight shoulder injury will bring your weight lifting program to a screeching halt.

The shoulders are called deltoids as in delta, because of their three sides, front rear and side. To see quick results draw out the side or lateral muscle for width. Hold two light dumbells at hang in front of you, plates touching at the edges, and raise your arms to the side up to about ear level. Tip the front of the dumbell slightly down as if pouring water out of it. Your elbows will be slightly bent, arms out to the side slightly in front of the body. Your body will look like a cross. One set of 8 or 10.
For the back lay on a bench face down and raise the dumbells from under the bench out to the sides, again making a cross with the body (like the guys on the rings in the Olympics). For the front, raise to the front, keeping the dumbells parallel to the floor. No cross here, both arms will be facing forward straight out from the body. If you go much more than ear height the trapezius comes into play as well as the deltoids.
Any of these can be done one handed (bend over 90 degrees while standing for the bench exercise) and hold on to a high rack or counter top with the free hand to stabilize the body. The one handed versions help take strain off the lower back if that is a problem. Eight to ten reps one set for all three versions.
Start with a weight lighter than you think you need for each of the three(may not be the same weight for all three). You could also start with only five or so reps per set and work up, to avoid sore shoulders or injury. You could also do 3-4 reps in each direction without letting go of the dumbells. With weights less is more, and go easy at first. Make certain the dumbell collars are tight. The standing press is a good overall exercise, but doesn't get the back of the shoulders all that well. Once you get used to all this you could do the presses one set as finishing exercise after the other three. You can also start with just the pouring water exercise at first. Again, go easy at first, the shoulder muscles are relatively small. Twice a week should do it.

Back